Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Girl I am seeing has Human Papilloma Virus

scrappydoo - Sun Jan 04, 2009 12:36 am

Hello, I just found out recently that the woman I am seeing has HPV. She knows this because when she went to see her gynecologist they did a pap smear and found abnormal cells, which they believe to be a precursor to cervical cancer. I am not sure if they did HPV test but she informed that she has HPV and she is scheduled to get the cancer cells removed in about a month.

Since, I am pretty sure she has given me this virus since we had only been together sexually a couple of months and I would assume that is not enough time to cause cell changes. The question is, now that I have this virus do I need to be alarmed because of the strain of HPV that she has that I might need to see my doctor and ask about the possibility of cancer or some other complication? I know after doing some reading there is no testing for a man and for those that get HPV that most of those infected can fight off the virus after a year or so, I am just concerned to know if this means I am now likely to spread a strain to other women that might cause cancer. Thank you for taking the time to read and give advice.
 JenniferLN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:18 am

I think it's a good idea for you to get tested, just because you should anyway, but also because you know that your partner has something. You may have even been the one to give it to her without even knowing you had it.

The thing with HPV is that it's so common and there are so many different strains that a huge number of people have a certain form of it or another. Alot of times it doesn't show symptoms. and for most men it can range from a skin irritation to full blown warts (Google images, but make sure you're not eating dinner while browsing).

It poses more of a danger to women because the cells can mutate inside the body and lead to cervical cancers. Several of my friends have contracted the virus and 2 girls I know had cancerous cells. They were lucky to catch them early, as is your girlfriend. If you're concerned about spreading the disease to others, wear a condom until you know for sure if you have it or not. It can be spread from skin to skin contact, so even if you're wearing a condom, there is always a risk. It's best to up front with someone you're sleeping with before anything happens (you would want them to tell you the same, right?) especially where HPV would drastically affect her life if it were to develop cancerous cells. I would encourage any new partners (and daughters, nieces, cousins etc) to get the HPV vaccine.

Good luck!
 scrappydoo - Mon Feb 02, 2009 10:47 pm

Thank you for the response. I did not realize the potential was or can be so devastating. So this virus is transfered thru skin to skin contact, even by shaking a woman's hands? I will seek advice from my doctor as to what I should now do. I do not believe I gave her the virus.

Jefre