Question: Restricting Urine Flow Leads to Blood

thehtizzle - Tue Jan 06, 2009 9:01 am

2 years ago I had to get a drug test for a new job. I am male and had to pee into a cup. When I filled up the cup, I restricted the flow of urine from my penis until I could make it to the toilet. I must not have stopped the flow from my bladder by using my muscles, because I think that I ruptured something in my urethra. As soon as my urine stopped, I had a few drops of blood come out of my urethra. Fast forward 2 years, I was having sex last night and my wife squeezed my penis as I was about to ejaculate, restricting my semen and causing something to bleed inside of my urethra again. It bleed a little more this time, gently for about 5 minutes or so. We then fell asleep and when I went to pee in the morning, I guess the blood dried inside of my urethra because my urine took a second before it came out. once it came out (after less than a second), I had the sensation of bleeding and drops of blood came out after I had finished urinating. What is going on? Can it get infected from passing urine while there is some kind of wound in my urethra? Should I see a doctor or is there anything they can do? Is it serious? Help please! You can imagine it is a little traumatizing to see blood coming from your penis. Thanks in advance
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 8:37 pm

User avatar Hello thehtizzle,
Sphincters in our body are what one can call as "The wonders" in our bodies.
Acts such as defecation,micturition,ejaculation (just to name a few) involve a very finely orchestrated interplay between the various components of the nervous system.Some muscles need to contract and some muscles(the sphincters) need to reciprocally relax (or the other way around at times!)!
Sphincters once damaged, usually stay damaged. No one has yet been able to devise a sphincter!
If one interferes with these finely co-ordinated acts, problems (such as the ones you have mentioned) are bound to occur.
It is likely that the high pressures which built up(usual) in the distal urinary passage during micturition and ejaculation perhaps caused rupture of a tiny vessel-resulting in bleeding.
Given rest, this should clear soon.
Wounds in urethra, anal canal or perianal region usually heal surprisingly well despite bacteria present in these areas constantly.The reason is that these bacteria are 'commensals' and normally non virulent or of low virulence. I trust this information will be useful.Good Luck!