Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: urge to urinate, no burn, similar to UTI, but daily

zeppelinrules - Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:10 pm

For the past year I have been experiencing what I thought was a Urinary Tract Infection. Not all the symptoms match though and it's starting to get really irritating. I feel the urge to urinate and nothing comes out. This lasts for about 2 hours. It does not go away after I finally urinate, it just fades away. When I do urinate it does not burn, and it does not give relief. Also, my rear end becomes very sweaty when this happens. Odd, but consistent, symptom. This happens at least every other day, and currently daily, sometimes twice a day. I take cranberry pills and drink cranberry juice, but i'm not sure of its effectiveness. I was checked for STD's and was clean. I have not been very sexually active this past year and I eat a very healthy vegan diet. What can this be???
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:51 pm

There is a medical condition, a frequency-urgency syndrome that usually occurs in females, and is not necessarily "overactive bladder" (although that also can happen and the two are sometimes lumped together). Interstitial cystitis is the most common cause of your symptoms, although it is often accompanied by pain as well.
There are a number of medical (medicinal) therapies for this condition if this is found to be the problem. If it is, instead, simple "overactive bladder", there are also a couple of medications for this, once UTIs have been ruled out, which seems to be the case with you. For that reason you probably need to be seen by a urologist in order to diagnose accurately so as to medicate properly and get you some relief from this terribly annoying problem.

Best of luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.
 juswondering - Tue May 05, 2009 1:55 pm

I was wondering, would it be possible to get antibiotics to treat what could potentially be a bladder infection from a drug store and would it be safe to use them without prescription?