Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: blood in urine and abnormal fbc test

 ukgeek - Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:06 am

i wonder if you could advise me please. I went to my doctor last week with what i thought was a kidney infection (i have had them before) - symptoms were; blood in urine, the feeling that i need to urinate all the time, soreness in my back - the doctor perscribed Cefalexin (unsure of the spelling there - sorry) this did not cure the problem so i returned to the doctor this week. He prescribed Nitrofurantion and got urine an blood tests done.

The urine had blood in it but no infection. The bloods were normal except the 'full blood count' - he said that needed to be done again but without using the cuff and on 'flowing blood' (they had difficulty getting blood from me!)

He said that he wanted to double check the blood result which would also cause blood in the urine.

I still feel the need to urinate all the time. He has refered me for a scan at the hospital.

I asked him what he was checking for and he said i would need medical knowledge to understand it (note to the medical profession - that is really annoying!)

Can you please tell me what he may be looking for that would cause blood in the urine and would give an 'abnormal' fbc result?

Thank you for your time.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:45 pm

User avatar Hello --

First, duly noted: a comment such as the patient would need "medical knowlege" to understand a diagnosis or suspected condition is beyond annoying. It is avoiding the issue. How can one treat a patient and not take the time to explain what is going on? "Medical knowlege" can be translated, it simply requires a few extra moments and some imagination. Enough said.

Now then: what your doctor was looking for was probably (based on the deliberately obfuscated explanation) any one of a number of possible disorders which could include various inflammatory conditions of random parts of the urinary system, or a bleeding tendency, and there are too many of either to go into here, at least without enough of a clue as to which ones he thinks might be the culprit. There are various types of anemias, clotting disorders, etc., all of which would require a consult with a hematologist anyway, and I'm quite sure a specialist would be able to figure out how to explain to you what he thought might be going on.

Hopefully the scan has cleared up the issue. With more information I'd be happy to discuss specifics. Please follow up with us as needed, and update us also. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us