Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: URGENT Bleeding after Urethral Swab

hoboken99 - Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:35 pm

I had a slight discomfort with no discharge. The doctor did not see anything glaringly wrong but to be safe, got a urethral swab done on Wednesday. Don't know how but my sample was destroyed and was told to redo the swab today(Friday).

This time, the swab procedure was thorough which was painful as hell and I'm back home bleeding from my penis. Is this normal? What could I do over the weekend(or should not do?) until they reopen on monday?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:04 pm

User avatar Hello --

While this is not normal, it is not surprising either. The urethra contains a great number of rather fragile capilaries and it is easy to break one or more with even a swab. Usually the bleeding will stop on its own, but to be safe, don't do any heavy lifting or other straining, and if the bleeding intensifies before you can be seen during regular hours then by all means go to an acute care facility of ER. If it remains as is, just use something absorbent and wait. Along with whatever was causing the original distress, the subsequent DIY swab undoubtedly is what's caused the bleeding. Again, it should resolve spontaneously, and if it doesn't, but especially if it gets worse, have it seen by a professional before the appointment date.

Good luck to you with this. Let us know how things turn out.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us