Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Urinating every 30 mins? My doctor can not figure it out!

 egypt - Sat Jan 10, 2009 6:30 pm

I am a 23 year old male - I smoke, don't do drugs or rarely drink.

About 6 months ago i started urinating more regularly but didnt think anything about it. It has got a lot worse recently untill the last two days of work in december when i have been urinating every 30 mins to an hour.

My urine is a normal colour and there is no pain and i am not itching or feeling dizzy.

My doctor has tested my urine and my blood and i have come back all clear on both counts.

I Can not hold it if i need to go... i have to go and it comes on very strong and very quickly! I have been close to wetting myself a number of times. on regular occasions i go to the toilet and feel as though im done but literally 2 mins later it feels as though i need to go again. If i try and hold it, it feels like i may dribble or wet myself completely. My doctor has advised me to see how it is in a few weeks but its not getting any better and i really need some sort of sollution as it is ruining my life!!! I cant go out in case i wet myself! Please can you help me as my doctor does not have any ideas of what it could be!!!

Thanks in advance for all your help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:31 pm

User avatar Hello --

What you describe sounds like frequency-urgency syndrome, which in childhood is pretty normal, and otherwise often occurs in women, but with a great deal of pelvic pain and discomfort. When it occurs in adult men it is even more of a challenge to the doctor than the other two subsets, and these are difficult to begin with. The only thing I can suggest to you is to arrange a consult with a urologist, who may be able to give you something to manage the symptoms while looking for an underlying cause. The problem tends to resolve spontaneously (in men and children, not in women) but can recur and can be extremely disruptive of normal activities. There's usually no serious underlying cause if any cause can be found. "Overactive bladder" is a newer term to describe this condition, and there is medication which can sometimes help with or resolve the problem.

Hope this is helpful. Best of luck to you and please follow up with us as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us