Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Tear in frenulum. bleeding after erection

alex95 - Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:46 am

About a month ago i had a tear in the frenulum and i was bleeding excessively. After some time it seemed to have healed but recently it was torn again. This time the bleeding was severe. How do i treat it?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:10 pm

User avatar Hello --

Tear of the frenulum during intercourse is not terribly unusual, so however the original tear was caused, it's unsurprising that intercourse (or masturbation) could cause a re-tear. The best treatment, in most non-traumatic cases, is direct pressure followed by application of a lightweight pad and gentle handling/treatment of the member until it is fully healed again. If the frenular artery is torn it can cause fairly significant (though not dangerous) bleeding, and might require direct medical attention to get it controlled so that it can heal.

I hope this is helpful to you. Please follow up here as necessary. Good luck to you.
 Dr Paul Turek - Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:15 pm

Regarding frenular tears and bleeding. Yes this is common and is due to the high insertion of the fernular tissue on the glans penis. It is a physics issue really. As the uncircumcised (preputial) skin rolls back and forth during intercourse, there is stress on the frenular tissue and it can tear. Tearing causes bleeding. Once the area heals, the tear usually heals and the frenular insertion is lower on the penis and more stable. It may bleed again if it tears again. Eventually the insertion area is more stable because it is lower and there is scar tissue to support it and bleeding eventually stops. However, if it does not, you can also have a frenuloplasty under local anesthesia that takes the frenulum down to a stable location and prevents further tearing and bleeding. This takes about 20 minutes in the office. A circumcision is not required to treat this.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us