Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: small "scabs" in urine following sexual activity post TURP

gmjosey - Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:29 pm

I had a TURP3 months ago. After sexual activity I still see one or two tiny "scabs" in my first urination. When will this stop ? What actually happens to the prostate during orgasm ? Does it "spasm" ? If so.I guess this would account for the release of this scabby material.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:45 pm

Those little "scabs" are fairly common after a TURP. They can go on for a while, but shouldn't keep showing up beyond a month or so. If they do, you may need to have that checked. It wouldn't necessarily be serious, but if there's a tiny bleed on the prostate it makes things more prone to infection and other problems in the future.

During sex the prostate is stimulated and sometimes engorges (or at least enlarges to some degree), then tenses and releases, for lack of a better way to describe the function. It's close enough to "spasm" for our purposes here, and certainly could cause release of small flakes of semi-dried blood during or after sex. If sex is satisfactory and doesn't cause any discomfort in the area, things are probably fine. This is something you may want to just mention to the urologist on a non-urgent basis and follow his advice.

Good luck to you. Please follow up with us as needed.