Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: White Blood Cells and no Nitrite in UTI test

artgirl1122 - Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Hello, I am a 22 year old female who has been experiencing frequent urination problems for about a week and a half now. No burning, pain, itching, odor or discolored urine. I used an AZO TEST STRIP to check for an infection. The Nitrite level came back negative, but the white blood cell check came back positive. Could this still be a UTI, even with the absence of Nitrite and typical UTI symptoms?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:58 pm

It's entirely possible there could be a UTI present. Something definitely is not right if WBCs are present in the urine. There are other conditions which also could cause this, of course, so everything should be ruled out (or in) and the underlying cause, whatever it is, should be treated as necessary. Most likely is a simple cystitis (bladder infection), but whatever it is, blood cells are not supposed to be in the urine and the white ones almost always signify infection somewhere along the tract.

I hope this is helfpful. Good luck to you and please do follow up with us here as needed.