Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: White Blood Cells and no Nitrite in UTI test

artgirl1122 - Sun Jan 18, 2009 3:51 pm

Hello, I am a 22 year old female who has been experiencing frequent urination problems for about a week and a half now. No burning, pain, itching, odor or discolored urine. I used an AZO TEST STRIP to check for an infection. The Nitrite level came back negative, but the white blood cell check came back positive. Could this still be a UTI, even with the absence of Nitrite and typical UTI symptoms?
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:58 pm

User avatar Hello --

It's entirely possible there could be a UTI present. Something definitely is not right if WBCs are present in the urine. There are other conditions which also could cause this, of course, so everything should be ruled out (or in) and the underlying cause, whatever it is, should be treated as necessary. Most likely is a simple cystitis (bladder infection), but whatever it is, blood cells are not supposed to be in the urine and the white ones almost always signify infection somewhere along the tract.

I hope this is helfpful. Good luck to you and please do follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us