Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: PH 8 of Urine

cd61182 - Fri Dec 31, 2004 8:55 pm

Hi, im a female 22 years old, i have asthma - im 5'4 and 150lbs. i got a urinanalysis recently and i tested for PH of 8. My doctor asked me if i had a burning sensation when i went to the bathroom and i said no because i don't have that sensation. I feel normal. Then he said its probably because i don't drink enough water, which i don't, i really do believe i need to drink more water; but Is this true? or is there an underlying problem i should worry about? Thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sat Jan 01, 2005 6:35 am

User avatar Hello,
Please update your profile to include your previous diagnosis of asthma. respiratory hyperventilation can lead to alkaline urine. However, more commonly bacterial infection usually causes alkilinity of urine. Did the other urine test results come out normal? Pus cells? A bacterial examination would be in order if a repeat test shows the same result. Please note that alkaline urine can lead to the development of calcium phosphate, calcium carbonate and magnesium phosphate stones. So if your tests continue to come back alkaline it is advisable to receive treatment.

Best regards,
 Dr. Yassin - Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:10 pm

Thank you for your smart question

I guess the diagnosis of infection is dependant on symptoms and urine findings.

There is no reason to suspect Urine infection in your case. High pH of the urine has many causes. It is not my area of expertise however, I suspect renal tubular acidosis. If all the labs are normal I would leave the decision to the regular doctor to proceed with further lab work or consult a nephrologist.

If you have the full urine results and kidney functions as well as an other lab results I will be glad to review it as well.

M Yassin, MD
Infectious Diseases

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us