Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site. 

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: craneberry tablets or other ways to prevent reoccuring UTI's

littlelauren - Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:56 am

I suffer frequently from uti's from sexual intercourse. My long-time boyfriend and i always use condoms to prevent it and i always urinate before and after sex, abstain from hygiene products, wipe front to back, drinking plenty of water and cranberry juice, etc etc... However i still get a uti everytime we have sex without using a condom (also on the pill). Doctor precribes an antibiotic but id rather prevent it than be on antibiotics every few months or so.
Wondering if cranberry tablets are good in preventing uti's and how often would you take them? Have previously tried Nature's Own: Urinary Tract Support. Or anything this else that may be helpful in uti prevention.
Thanks
 Debra Van Ness RN - Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:50 pm

Many doctors do believe that cranberry tablet supplements are helpful in prevention of UTI's. Please ask your doctor before taking any supplements however. Cranberry helps prevent and helps treat UTI's because it creates a more acidic environment in the urinary tract thus leaving bacteria with a much less thriving environment.

Also increasing your water intake is always a good idea if you do not drink enough water on a regular basis. Of course cranberry juice is a good choice. However, what I have found is that most cranberry drinks on the market really have little actual cranberry juice. It is usually called a "cranberry cocktail" which is a mixture of many other ingredients and a very small concentration of cranberry.

Also consider any bath products you use if you like to take baths rather than showers. Some of the products for baths may increase irritation in the urethra for some people who are sensitive.

Wearing cotton underwear would be a suggestion also that may help if you do not do so already. Materials such as nylon are not as breathable as cotton.

Please explore with your physician why you are so susceptible to UTI's.

Debra Van Ness RN

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us