Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Car accident - frequent visit to the ladies room?

laura - Wed May 14, 2003 2:15 pm

I had an car accident on Monday 5/12/03 and I am ok - or so I think. I feel fine except for a little lower back pain & neck soreness....my question is : ever since monday I noticed an increased urge to urinate - a lot of times throughout the day! - is it normal?.....I am just asking because I feel fine (better for me - I am not retaining much liquids :) - but I do feel thirsty & it's unusual that I have to go to the ladies room so often - do u think its related to the accident? I got really scared but I got out of the car fine & I can walk - so I did not think it was necesary to go see a doctor. - I hit another car - a big truck (hard, my car's front looks like an accordion :(

Thank you in advance for your advice.
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Wed May 14, 2003 9:23 pm

User avatar Dear Laura,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Going to the bathroom to urinate many times more than you are used to has many causes. At the top of the list:

1. Infections of the urinary tract. Especially if you have small amount of urine with burning and pain.
2. Diabetes mellitus.
3. Medications such as diuretics (Fluid pills). You said you are not retaining any fluid so are you using a diuretic?
4. Drinking too much water (you said you were thirsty) or fluids so you go more often. This could go both ways, meaning that you feel thirsty you drink too much and then you go too much or you go too much you feel thirsty so you drink too much.
5. A condition called diabetes insipidus.
6. Kidney problems.

How is this related to your car crash?
1. i can not see any relation between your car crash and this condition unless you had a head trauma and from what you said this does not appear to be the case. Head trauma can lead to this condition called diabetes insipidus if it is really severe and it is rare.
2. Could be totally unrelated and you are taking more notice of yourself to detect what might go wrong because you had an accident and you just took notice of something that has been there for a while and you just started to notice it or you do not have any abnormality.

Once more, thank you very much for using our website https://doctorslounge.com and i hope that this information helped and please keep me posted and do not hesitate to ask any questions.