Question: red blood cells in urine, pain and overactive bladder

Sims - Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:04 am

Hi please help as i have been suffering with this condition for quite some time now. I have red blood cells in my urine shown on dipstick, (this is for past 2 years) I feel the urge to go the toilet every 5 mins and for the past week I have this throbbing pain on my right hand side of my lower back. I had a laprascope and the gynecologist and urologist found that endometrial tissue on my ureters, is this causing all the symptoms I am experiencing, The Urologist does not seem to think that that is whats causing the overactive bladder, He wants to do trial and error tests on me, My next menstrual cycle is due soon, is that whats making the pain worse, I am so tired of taking anti-biotics for UTI and all other medication to stop overactive bladder. This happens to me very often. Please help.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Fri Feb 27, 2009 11:08 pm

User avatar Hi there --

I think you probably have more than one thing going on at the same time, which happens a lot and really confuses the picture sometimes. Your doctor is probably correct that endometriosis isn't causing the overactive bladder, and interstitial cystitis probably should be ruled out (or in). Since the two conditions are happening in related areas and at the same time, this would necessarily be pretty confusing, but overactive bladder or interstitial cystitis doesn't cause red blood cells to show up in the urine, and kidney disorders rarely cause overactive bladder symptoms. Endometriosis could definitely account for the RBCs in the urine, however, so both problems must be looked at separately. Hopefully this will be sorted out sooner than later. There are therapies for both if this is the case (which it almost certainly must be), but they are different.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.