Question: Chronic UTI/Kidney Infection, Any hope??

JenniferLN - Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:32 am

I started getting UTIs when I was 6 years old, and didnt have another until I hit puberty and from then on I've had about 6 a year give or take a few. It's terrible. I've done everything recommended, I pound water all day and try to drink alot of cranberry juice. I limit caffiene and alcohol, I wear cotton underwear, I shower sometimes twice a day and then once I have sex I'm back in agony. I've even gotten up in the middle of intercourse to go to the bathroom, as one doctor suggested, and I still got a UTI. The thing is, they progress into kidney infections within a couple of hours, which is terrifying because I'm not always close to an emergency room when they strike and I mean, kidneys are kind of important ya know?? I read somewhere that doctors are developing a low dose antibiotic that people can take daily, or even OTC, I was wondering if anyone else has a similar experience or if they've been on some kind of daily treatment?

It's just that statistically,the more UTIs you get, the more you're going to have, so I'm basically screwed. I don't know what's wrong with me, and it's definitely affecting my life where I have to leave work to get to the doctor immediately, or basically not have sex at all, or have a guy jump through hoops before we do anything because I'm so terrified. Someone help please!
 Dan Abshear - Mon Feb 02, 2009 1:25 pm

UTIs are rather frequent with you, and I'm sorry to hear that's happening to you.

I'm presuming you have had your urine cultured at the doctor's office when you see the doctor for your UTI. The results of the culture will identify the what is likely bacteria that is causing your UTI, and assure you are prescribed the right antibiotic.

Sometimes, there can be physiological abnormalities that can cause frequent UTIs, such as something called VUR. Your OB/GYN doctor would be able to discuss this with you.

Yet from what you wrote, it sounds like you may have instead what is called cystitis, which means the inside of your bladder is inflammed or swollen. Frequent UTis, as well as with other symptoms, indicate cystitis. You will want to see a urologist to examine you for this, as the treatment for cystitis is different from just taking antibiotics, as you have with your UTis.

You don't ever want to have a UTI and not treat it, or have it get worse. It could lead to a larger issue with being infected at other locations aside from your urinary tract.

Hope you get better,

Dan
 Debbie Miller, RN - Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:02 pm

If you have not yet consulted with a urologist about the chronic condition, you should do this now. Low dose maintenance antibiotics are used frequently so you should discuss this but the doctor should first make sure there is no other problem going on. Ask about this treatment. You certainly sound like a candidate for it.