Question: Thick green discharge from penis...HELP!

vegas6943 - Sat Feb 07, 2009 4:05 pm

So, I was not so smart and had unprotected sex with a new partner. Afterwards, she informed me she has herpes but "its in remission". Within 1-2 days, I started having a pain/discomfort in my urethra (about 1 inch or so up) after urination, and also thick green discharge. The discomfort almost felt like there was a foreign body in there, because when my urethra closed after urination, it felt like it was closing on something. I went to an STD clinic, and they did a urine test and a swab, and started me on doxycycline. They also told me that I was likely dehydrated. Within a couple days, my symptoms cleared up, but due to side effects and negative urine test results they took me off the doxy. About 3-4 days after stopping the meds, the discharge has returned. So far the discomfort hasn't. I haven't gotten any results for the swab, but I'll be calling on Monday. The girl claims she went in and got tested "for everything" and only has a yeast infection (other than the herpes). In my area, STD clinics will only treat guys for STDs, and refer them out for anything else...and I really can't afford to go to another doctor unless absolutely necessary as I have no insurance. I'd really appreciate some input. P.s. I've been having no trouble urinating, no change in frequency of urination, and no pain with ejaculation.
THanks
 Debra Van Ness RN - Wed Feb 11, 2009 10:24 am

It sounds more like gonorrhea or some other type of STD rather than herpes. I suspect that the clinic suspects something other than herpes also because an antibiotic such as Doxycycline would not be used for a viral illness. (herpes is a virus, not a bacteria). The green discharge is typical with gonorrhea.

It sounds as if the sex partner was not very honest with you. I wonder if she told you about the herpes before or after the sex encounter? It is possible she has herpes in addition to some other STD.

Let this be a lesson learned. Also, beware that "protected" sex is not 100% protected. And also herpes can be transmitted even if the partner is not in a flare or the lesions are absent. It may be less likely transmitted, but not impossible.
But, if it is gonorrhea it is curable. Just make sure and take what they give you as prescribed.
It may be something else, I don't know. Just saying what it sounds like. Because this girl was not honest with you, please be tested for HIV also. Just in case. We also know that HIV is not always visible and people often look healthy before they get ill with it. So you can never tell for sure without testing.

Best wishes,
Debra Van Ness RN
 vegas6943 - Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:12 pm

Lesson definitely learned!! She didn't mention herpes until afterwards, which is why I kinda freaked out about that because I always hear you can still get it between outbreaks. Needless to say, I will be watching for any signs of herpes, and I will be more careful in the future. I am furious with her over this, and if I test positive she's going to have some explaining to do since she's the only possible source. I clarified with the clinic, and although they told me they were running both chlamydia and gonorrhea, they only ran chalmydia because it was negative. They did also tell me they tested my urine for bacteria and it was negative...so I'm assuming that rules out a UTI. They are trying to tell me the State Lab where I live won't test for gonorrhea unless chlamydia is positive. However, a friend used to work for a place that did testing thru the state lab for gonorrhea or both regardless of results of chlamydia all the time (unfortunately they were booked up so I had to go elsewhere). Even though she says she was tested for everything, I'm pretty sure she was either lying or they didn't run gonorrhea. I will be going in for a gonorrhea test as soon as I can get in elsewhere(it's actually what I've suspected all along based on the discharge), and I'm DEFINITELY getting an HIV at the same time and in 6 months. Thanks so much for your input, I'm glad to hear from someone medical that my suspicions are likely correct....when they told me everything was negative, I really started to worry about what else it could be. At this point, I'm hoping it is gonorrhea because at least then it will be treatable and over with.

Thanks again!