Question: Akward Testicular Movement with Hydrocele

HopefulMarine - Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:48 pm

For as long as I can remember I've had a hydrocele in the right side of my scrotum appearing to be somewhat attached to my testicle. It, oddly enough, gives my testicle an appearance that somewhat resembles a peanut. I'm stretching the memory here, but I think it was diagnosed during a physical around the time of my 7-9th grade year in school. I'm 21 now. I've never noticed it growing larger, although it may have grown in proportion to my normal body growth (I've grown quite a bit since then, up to 6'4).

In the description here, I don't mean to sound vile, but it's really one of the only ways that I've notice the symptoms, but, what is happening is as follows: When I use the restroom to go #2, I notice that once I'm seated and get my penis situated so I don't urinate all over the place, my left testicle "hangs" in what seems to be a normal position. My right testicle however "creeps" up and sits next to my penis, I guess you could say. I can't say that I'm really sure how long it's been doing that, I just haven't paid enough attention or never really noticed it. Well today, something different happend that worried me a bit. I was with my girlfriend partaking in some sexual activities, and she was attempting to ejaculate me with her hand. Well to make a long story short, I looked down and noticed that while my left testicle was there, my right was magically gone. It looked like half of my scrotum was empty. Well it freaked me out, so I sat up. Fluently with my motion of sitting up, the testicle moved back into place. I didn't experience any pain.

Since I've had the hydrocele diagnosis when I was younger, I've been very active, played three varisty sports in high school, always running or doing something active whether it was baseball, basketball, football, volleyball, golf, etc. I have never had any kind of problem with the testicle at all. My first question, I suppose, is if the hydrocele could influence the testicle in moving upwards "into my body" or whatever the term may be?

As far as the testicle disappearing, that has never happened as far as I'm aware. I have noticed the akward feeling before during sex, so it may have happened. The only time I get this "testicle pulling into my body" sensation is when I am either sitting on the toilet and it raises next to my penis, or when I'm laying down with an erection during some sort of sexual activity. I have noticed that my scrotum often feels like it is "tight" and close to my body. A bit more often than it used to be. Not much more often, but a bit more.

I'd really appreciate any insight as to what's going on, and if it's harmful to my health. I'd also like to know if it's progressive. By this I mean, if it's happened once, is it fair to expect the frequency of this occurence to increase? One of my main concerns is that I'm planning on becoming a USMC officer once I get my degree, and as I was looking at the medical part of the application the other day one of the mentioned things was "have you ever had an ascending or undescended testicle" and now I'm worried that this will somehow disqualify me for service. PLEASE HELP!!!

-HopefulMarine
 John Kenyon, CNA - Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:43 pm

What you describe is not all that unusual but certainly does warrant clinical attention. Usually when there is a "hiding" testicle, even part time, it is because a hernia has been present for some time, and is related to the origin of the hydrocele. This in itself isn't necessarily a problem, but it can become one, as the testicle can wind up in a torsion situation or otherwise become strangulated by its tendency to be pulled up into its infantile location.

Generally this is corrected by very minor surgery. If it is corrected prior to graduation you can answer with a qualified "yes" regarding the undescended testicle and not have to worry about it. Having worked in MilMed I feel safe in saying this should not be a problem if it is addressed now.

Hope this is helpful to you. Good luck to you. Please follow up with us here as needed.