Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: blood after going to bathroom

tulip18 - Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:16 pm

i've had alot of bowel troubles lately and have seen my doctor i was having blood intermixed with my stool but it stopped and now today i went and wiped myself and there was blood on the toilet paper and my stools are quite hard....
 GABRIELLA04 - Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:58 am

IF IT HURTS WHEN YOU GO TO THE BATHROOM BECAUSE YOUR STOOLS ARE HARD AND THERE IS BLOOD, YOU MIGHT HAVE HEMMOROIDS. MY SISTER HAD THAT AN SHE WENT TO THE DOCTOR AND HE GAVE HER A CREAM TO HELP IT OUT. YOU CAN GET YOUR STOOLS TO BE SOFTER BY EATTING MORE FIBER IN YOUR DIET. THERE IS A CEREAL CALLED FIBER ONE THAT THE DOCTOR SUGGESTED TO MY SISTER. IT'S PRETTY GOOD AND YOU CAN ADD SUGAR OR HONEY TO IT.

HOPE THAT HELPS SOME,
GABRIELLA04
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:30 pm

User avatar Hi tulip18,
You say that you noted stool mixed with blood. In hemorrhoids, usually there will be painless bright red bleeding at the end of defecation.
In cases of anal fissures however, sometimes the stool will be streaked with blood.

Although your description matches neither, still it could be hemorrhoids. The other possibility is bleeding from higher up in the rectum/colon.

It will be best if you consult your GP who could exclude causes such as hemorrhoids or fissure and refer you for further testing if needed.
Cheers!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us