Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Dysuria and pregency

ayadee - Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:32 am

Dear doctors

Iam pregenant in my first month and have Dysuria so the doctor give me cefuzime 500 mg, divido 75mg and buscopan 10mg
is that fine to use

thanks
 Debbie Miller, RN - Fri Nov 27, 2009 1:30 pm

Yes, treating for such symptoms is not only safe but important for your baby's safety. Keep in mind that the warnings on labels about pregnancy are because the usual testing of drugs is not done on pregnant women so the manufacturer cannot claim safety. This does not mean they are not safe; just that they have not been proven so by usual testing methods. However, after many women have needed particular drugs in pregnancy, we learn that many are very safe. It never hurts to be sure and your prescribing physician should always be made aware of your pregnancy. There is also an organization, otispregnancy.org that monitors drugs in pregnancy and breastfeeding and they can be a good resource for information. "When it doubt, check it out" is a good mantra for pregnancy. But, infection and urinary retention can definitely do harm in pregnancy so symptoms should not be ignored.

Good luck in your pregnancy,