Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: sharp pains in testicals

 ncfirefighter46 - Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:19 am

i am 36 years old and i have got sharp pains in my testicals and it has been going on since about 2003 and i have went to 3 different doctors and one told me they just hurt some times that is normal? i have had 2 ultra sounds and they said they don't see anything which the last one the girl was not comfortable. but the pain just keeps getting worse. i will fall to my knees and cry somtimes, and when the sharp pain comes i just cant move because of the pain, i am about to run out of hope here for i don't know what else to do they say there is nothing wrong but i know they must be. they get so sore i can not even touch them with out the pain. and it is a everyday pain not a come and go the sharp is not present all the time but a constent pain is there like someone has them in a vise or a real strong grip. then all of a sudden the sharp pain hits it might list a few seconds to a few mintues, and up to a hour or so. i say they hurt with sharp pain 28 days out of a month it never lights up and i am sick and tired of the pain i cant take it anymore. i have done what one doctor told me was to just deal with it is is normal i cant deal with it any longer i need some help and advise what i need to do.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:22 am

User avatar Hi ncfirefighter46,
Persistent testicular pain is NOT normal. Of the three physicians which you have seen were any of them a Urologist? If not, I would strongly suggest that you have an examination by this specialist. Some of the disorders that may cause persistent testicular pain are inguinal hernias, inflammation of any one of the male reproductive structures, epididymis or prostate gland, previous injury causing torsion of the blood vessels in the testicles, abnormal growths such as tumors, etc. Kidney stones may also sometimes radiate pain in the testicles. Again I would strongly suggest an evaluation by a urologist. The causative factor for the testicular pain should be taken seriously and you should not settle for a "just deal with it" answer. I hope this has been somewhat helpful.
Theresa Jones, RN
 bsignificant - Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:04 pm

hi there doctor,
i m a male aged 30 unmarried .i practise sport, eat well , but 4 days before i have been experiencing a sharp, terrible pain like burns in my left testicle from time to time especially when i stop walking.
i had this pain before but it lasted just for a month n then disappeared to show up now again making me feel so bad n worried.there s no rotten liquid in my penis or ulcers or red or yellow spots or the ongoing urge to pee nor symptoms at all except pain n burns n hotness in my left testical.
i hope you could help me identify what it is!
ps: i havent had sex since 2 years or more.
thank you!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:35 am

User avatar Hi bsignificant,
Iam not sure you mean pain in the testicle or in the scrotal wall.The fact that you feel worse when you stop walking almost excludes groin strain due to sports injury (where the pain is aggravated on walking).Apart from the more common causes of testicular pain (such as orchitis,epididymitis etc),one may occassionally come across causes such as Genito-femoral neuralgia(here, the pain tends to increase on extension of the lumbar spine-ie:leaning backwards.Sufferers of this malady often tend to bend forwards to get relief).This condition is believed to be due to genito-femoral nerve entrapment or traction.
Isuggest that you be examined by a urologist first.Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us