Question: Avodart with Saw Palmetto extract

wld35 - Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:40 am

I would like to know if it is inadvisable to take Saw Pametto with Avodart.

I am a 53 year old maie diagnosed with BPH in 2001 when I began taking doxasozin. My PSA score is 0.04, before beginning Flomas or Avodart. In December, my family doctor switch me to Flomax because I was having difficulty emptying again. After one month, Avodart 0.5mg was added, and after three months on Avodart, Flomax was tapered off. Currently, I have been on Avodart 3.5 months and have discontinued Flomax for two weeks. While I am wakened once every night to urinate, and often takes multiple trips esp after I get up in the morning, and sometimes the flow is week, the symptoms have improved.

I am interested in taking Saw Palmetto as a supplement to further improve prostate function and health on a long term basis, but am concerned that it might conflict with the Avodart.
 John Kenyon, CNA - Thu May 28, 2009 10:50 pm

While saw palmetto is a "natural" supplement it can have some untoward side effects and there have been no clinical trials so its medical value is unknown. It's generally recommended not to use this along with other drugs for the same purpose, and it can interact with a number of medications, so I would strongly suggest discussing this with your doctor before using it at all. You seem to be doing fairly well with the "real" medication you're on right now, but your physician, who knows your personal history best, would be the one to discuss this with.

Hope this is helpful. Good luck to you.