Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: IC, do I have it?

 sap3069 - Sun Jan 16, 2005 10:40 am

I have had about 2-3 UTI's a month for the past 3 years. Usually happens after 2 things, sex and my period. I went to a urologist and he prescibed Cinobac (Cipro does not work for me) and he also sent me to a bladder therepist stating that at my bladder had "dropped" and that was not good for my age. I found this therepy to be crazy, it did not help at all. I went to the gynecologist and she said my bladder was fine, I had no tumors or cysts that she could find. So.......I am still taking the cinobac if I have to (I have found that taking Saw Palmetto daily is very helpful). Now, to the question, I heard an ad about a condition called IC and it has EVERY symptom I experience from sex being painful to UTI's. Can you tell me anything about this condition like what exactly causes it and why hasn't Cinobac kicked it? Is this a lifetime issue? Who would diagnos this, the urologist or gyno?
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Sun Jan 16, 2005 5:01 pm

User avatar Dear Tara,

What do you mean by having a uti? Do you get a urine analysis and urine culture checked, or just based on your symptoms that you are diagnosed with a uti?

i am not a urologist.

Interstitial cystitis is a disease that affects the lower urinary tract tissues. There is no universally accepted method to diagnose interstitial cystitis. Diagnosis is primarily clinical and should be suspected in any patient who complains of urgency, frequency, pelvic pain, associated with sexual activity, but infection has to be excluded. A woman who complains of recurrent utis poorly responsive to antibiotics has to be evaluated for interstitial cystitis.

There are tests for diagnosis of interstitical cystitis that only urologists are familiar with.

In most cases, treatment is successful.

Please, ask your urologist to evaluate you for interstitial cystitis.

Thank you very much for using our website and i hope that this information helped.

Yasser Mokhtar, M.D.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us