Medical Specialty >> Urology

Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Urinary problem

im_dying - Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:23 pm

I'm a male in his early 20s also I smoke, I don't know if thats relevant. I have been having the urge to urinate more frequently but this has been awhile now(a year or more) but hasn't always been like this. The feeling is irregular and comes and goes daily or weekly. There is usually no pain or anything I felt was threatening so I never thought it was worth worrying about. I don't have any leakage as I've read others may do. The problem is after urinating maybe an hour or less later I'll feel the need to urinate again and feel the normal pressure feeling of having a full bladder but usually when I go a second time there isn't much urine as i would expect. However sometimes I can urinate and shortly after urinate just as much in a short amount of time. But of course this only happens sometimes and other days I can have a full healthy bladder. I've never found myself unable to control it or wetting myself or running to the bathroom though.

But recently I am expericning a soft numbing nagging pain towards the right side of my groin/upper thigh/pelvic area. It comes and goes and is hard to say where exactly it is coming from as it isn't a sharp pain. I've always had the urinary issue but this is the first time I've felt pain around that area. Are they related? Should I be worried?

Also I have come down with a mild case of coughing... I don't know if this is related to it as well...
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:19 am

Your main complaints are an urgent need to urinate (urgency), frequent need to urinate (frequency), and a pelvic pain. There is no burning sensation and no dribbling. You have not stated if you are sexually active and if there is a history of sexually transmitted diseases, which would have been helpful in evaluating your case.

It is important to establish if you have urinary tract infection (UTI) and if so, whether it is complicated or uncomplicated.

In uncomplicated UTI, the urinary tract has no structural abnormality, the renal function is normal and you have no associated disease which impairs defence mechanisms.

In complicated UTI, the urinary tract is abnormal due to obstruction or kidney disorders, or there is an associated disease that predisposes to it, such as diabetes mellitus.

The basic screening test for urinary tract infection is a microscopy, culture, and sensitivity of a fresh, middle stream specimen of urine. Because your complaints are at least one year in duration, it is mandatory to undergo further investigations to establish if you have a complicated or an uncomplicated UTI. These tests will include urinary tract ultrasound (for imaging of the kidneys, ureters and urinary bladder) and renal function tests, in addition to the basic test. You should consult a urologist who may also want to establish if there is any associated disease predisposing to your urinary symptoms.

Thank you for contacting this website.

Dr Anthony Solomon
MB BS DTM&H DIP.VEN FRSM
Consultant Physician, Tropical & Genitourinary Medicine
 Becky - Fri Jun 10, 2005 7:37 am

I have exactly the same symptoms as this male described on Jan 11 2005. I have had urinary tract problems (burning sensation when passing urine) for about 6 years, and now have the same numb, ache in the right side of pelvis/groin/thigh area - the ony difference is, I am female. I am wondering what he has discovered about his condition since then or what a diagnosis could be? I am intrigued to find someone else with such similar symptoms!
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Fri Jun 17, 2005 2:47 am

Have you had any investigations for your symptoms over the last 6 years? If so, what were the results? Due to technical problems at the website, I am unable to open your profile page and view your medical history.

In a female, the right side of the pelvis is the site of the right ovary and fallopian tube.
In both sexes, it is also the location of the appendix. For urinary symptoms, you should follow the recommendations given in my previous post.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 morphingcell - Sat Nov 26, 2005 8:34 am

I have been having the same problem as Becky, but there's a little more to it. A few weeks ago, I had noticed something really weird about my urine - it smelled really different and bizarre. The urinary pain started right on my menstural cycle. I had this huge stomachache as well, and I thought maybe I was under stress and that the seriously bad cramps were causing it (because the pain was so bad it wouldn't go away after 4 pills within 3-4 hours). Then I had overdosed on pills within 6 hours and my stomach was really feeling it later that afternoon and night. Once it was over, the next day I had started to catch a fever. It was really high and it would not go away no matter what I did to get rid of it. Normally fevers only last 1/2 a day with me, but this one was 2. I thought the fever was due to the flu because my throat was feeling slight dryness like it might start a cold. During this time I thought the pain sensation I was feeling was a part of my period and I thought it was the vaginal area. It would always hurt right when I was done, but I could never completely finish, because if I did the pain would linger longer. I also had frequent urgences to pee even though I may not have had much. But once I was off my cycle, the pain continued and I realize it wasn't my vagina, but it was my lower urinary area next to my vagina area and the irritation lasted about 1/2 hour after I was done. Granted, I had drank a little wine the night before, which could have caused that, but I had also had a little on Thanksgiving, too, and never felt that after drinking it before. There's no bleeding or anything, but I'm wondering if the case is getting worse, or going to be worse and it's sort of scaring me. Could I possibly have something to worry about? What should I do?
 bcly - Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:58 pm

I too have the same symptoms as Becky and I been having this for 10 years. Though the local doctor had prescribe ditropan & erispan(antidepression) for my condition, but see no improvement for my for condition(urge of urine).

Recently I had done an biopsy on my bladder and the doctor had found that there are eosinophilic cystitis in my bladder, right after i have done a stool and urine test to determine the parasite that could bring about eosinophilic cystitis but found to be negative.

I have done some research on eosinophilia in the internet had found that such disease is cause by allergence. Most would use prednisolone (steroid) to bring about the condition better, but such treatment would come along with some form of side effect.

Since eosinophilia is usually found in our body, would eosinophilic cystitis result in sinus, as I have such condition since Oct '04?

Are there any ways to decrease the eosiniophilic cystitis apart from using steroid?

Is it true that anything that is acidic could aggrevate the condition on my urge to urine?
although I didn't pay much attention to it.

Is ditropan the right medication to use for controlling the urge of urine?

Appreciate any doctor could advise on the matter above.