Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: test to determine reflux nephropathy

 shrikant.neelkant - Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:24 am


I have kidney problem.
during investigation i under a nuclear scan to check for VUR reflux.
the test results showed that i had high grade bilateral vur reflux.
The nephrologist then referred me to a uerologist.
The uerologist said to detertime reflux a MCU test has to be done.
The MCU results shows no Reflux.
I got the MCU test done twice from difreeent clinic
The Mcu test does not show reflux.
The nephrologist does not agree to this.

Please let me know which result i should follow ,the mcu or the nuclear scan.
What is the better method to dtermine VUR reflux.

 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat May 23, 2009 8:51 pm

User avatar Hello --

Both tests you've had done carry a high degree of confidence in the result and both can produce false negatives and positives,mostly with regard to scarring, which doesn't help resolve your dilemma. Since your doctor performed the nuclear scan,he is obviously more confident in his finding, but the other two tests are equally reliable, so what you have is essentially a best two out of three result, but the findings are totally oppositional to one another. Your doctor, therefore, is being conservative and this is understandable, but considerable doubt remains as to whether you actually have RN or not. For this reason I would suggest a second opinion from a different urologist, perhaps without any further tests, but simply to have him study all three reports and try to find a cause for the disparity. I suspect the nuclear scan has produced a false positive result, but of course cannot know that. We want the best outcome for you, so I strongly suggest the second opinion if this is possible. Good luck to you and please follow up with us here as needed.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us