Question: Burn on base of penis from hydrocortisone cream

kman15 - Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:10 pm

In 2004 I got a yeast infection which I didn't see the doctor for a couple months for. It was itching like crazy and extremely sensitive during sexual activity, and would get dry easily. The doctor gave me an antibiotic for the yeast infection and hydrocortizone cream to treat the area on the base of my penis.

The itching and soreness during sexual activity continued. I saw a couple urologists and dermotologists for this, a couple of them gave me a higher dosage of hydrocortizone cream to apply on the area. Finally, one dermotologist determined that the redness and soreness were actually caused by overuse or burning from the hydrocortisone cream.

I discontinued the use of the hydrocortisone cream in 2005. The redness is still in areas where I had applied the cream; on the base of my penis and on the scrotum where it meets the base. The skin still gets really sore and dry during sexual activity.

How can this red and sore skin be treated so I can go back to having a regular sex life after 5 years?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:45 pm

User avatar Long term steroid application does sometimes lead to atrophy,and especially tender areas get affected are-like eyelids,groin,folds of axilla etc.You can apply glycerin based emmolients for the same.
 kman15 - Mon Aug 10, 2009 12:02 am

What is the name of a glycerol based emmollient product?