Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Is this a urinary tract infection or something else???

shawnybravo20 - Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:53 am

HI, im 23, sexually active (with one partner for the past 2 years) and pretty certain we are both faithful....a few days ago i noticed a small amount of liquid forming at the end of my penis and just inisde..if i wipe it off it comes back within a short period of time...also, after noticing this i noticed that my sex drive has suddenly been dimished alot..and also the normal state of the size of my penis has been alot smaller than usual..perhaps this is because i am so stressed about what this problem could be would explain the size and the diminished sex drive...these are my only symptoms..there is no pain when urinating or anything else that i've noticed. Please forgive me If i've posted here in error. :(
thank you,
Shawn
 Dr. D. Sawh - Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:42 am

Dear shawnybravo20,
The small amount of liquid forming at the end of your penis is a discharge from the prostatic urethra & is called a urethral discharge. It is the commonest presenting symptom of a sexually transmitted disease(STD) IN MEN. You didn't mention how long you've noticed this discharge nor any medication use. Are u circumcised or not? What is the colour, amount, and quantity of the dicharge---e.g. is it yellow, clear, profuse, scanty,etc. or a combination of these? You could have acquired it from anywhere between 1-4 months ago and only now it decided to raise its ugly head. Acquired via sexual intercourse (in which case it could be of bacterial, fungal or mechanical abrasions,etc.) Are u sure that your partner is TRULY FAITHFUL to you? Your condition could be easily cured but you need to visit your doctor or urologist in order to ascertain its origin and subsequently he would devise a treatment plan for you.It is vital that u should have this done as early as possible in order to eliminate sexual factors; a thorough penile examination is warranted as well as a specimen of the urethral discharge collected for GRAM STAINING(ASK YOUR Dr. TO EXPLAIN THIS TO YOU). Have u enquired from your partner whether she ever had a STD before: what was the diagnosis & how long ago this happened & and very important at what age did it occur together with what treatment was administered. However, your partner could be completely innocent & thereby u would have acquired it via wearing tight underwear or close- fitting jeans, not thoroughly washing your briefs with sufficient detergent, use of a strange toilete.g. at a friend's house or at a party,etc. There is a plethora of possible causes for this to occur. Don't worry about penis size or decreased sex drive because they would return to normalcy once treatment has been started: normally, from my own personal experience, in treating patients everyday with same condition at my clinic, normalcy would not return immediately( about 2-4 weeks) depending on how your body would handle & react to drug treatment,etc.
KINDLY LET ME KNOW A.S.A.P. THE RESPONSES TO THE ABOVE QUESTIONS WHICH I HAD JUST OUTLINED TO YOU. I WOULD THEN ADVISE YOU ON HOW TO PROCEED WITH TREATMENT. DON'T WORRY UNNECESSARILY ABOUT YOUR SEX DRIVE,ETC. BECAUSE I AM WILLING TO ASSIST U AS MUCH AS I CAN FROM THIS END.

[b]BEST REGARDS,
D.SAWH Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.(UK).[/b]
 shawnybravo20 - Tue Mar 29, 2005 5:07 pm

The discharge was a very small amount, usually clear sometimes with a yellowish tint to it, and it was mostly noticeable in the morning when i would wake up, and yes i am circumsised to answer that question... i never did see a DR about this and it stopped, It's been about a month now since i've had any of the symptoms, seems odd to me that it just went away. Is this possible that it just went away temporarily and may come back eventually, I did have about 3 days worth of antibiotics "Bactrim" that my sister had left over from a UTI that she had, so i decided to take those and see if they helped, but i doubt that would be enough antibiotics to cure something like this, and i know i shouldnt take other peoples' medicine but i was pretty desperate considering i currently don't have health insurance 8)
 Dr. D. Sawh - Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:39 am

Dear shawnybravo20,
Thanks for the reply. It is a urethral discharge as I had explained to u before. Circumcision predisposes males to infections such as these. Is this circumcision due to your religion, etc? You've said that for a month you were symptom -free, nevertheless, the infection would tend to behave in this manner,i.e. it would remain dormant for about 3-8 weeks and then it would decide to raise its ugly head: once this occurs sometimes the second assault would be far more severe because as we say in medicine the infection would remain SUBCLINICAL UNTIL IT WAKES UP TO DO MORE DAMAGE THAN NORMAL. Having about 3 days supply of ''BACTRIM'' DOES NOT PUT YOU OUT OF DANGER AS YET. Never ever take another person's prescription medication without talking to a health professional first. O.K.! SOME QUESTIONS: WHEN EXACTLY DID YOU TAKE YOUR SISTER'S MEDICATION? HOW MANY DAYS/ WEEKS AFTER THE INFECTION HAD STARTED? HAVE YOU GAINED ANY RELIEF FROM THIS MEDICATION?
ARE U ALLERGIC TO ANY ANTIBIOTICS THAT U ARE AWARE OF?
ARE U PRESENTLY EXPERIENCING ANY PAIN OR BURNING DURING OR AFTER URINATION?
WHEN LAST AFTER STARTING THIS BACTRIM, DID U HAVE SEX?
WHAT DOSAGE OF BACTRIM DID U USE: e.g. one tablet twice daily after meals, etc.?
ARE U EXPERIENCING ANY SIDE -EFFECTS OF BACTRIM SUCH AS NAUSEA, VOMITING,HEADACHES, SKIN RASHES, PHOTOSENSITIVITY, JOINT PAINS, MUSCLE PAINS, VERTIGO, SHORTNESS OF BREATH, ETC.?
WAS YOUR SISTER'S MEDICATION ''BACTRIM'' OR ''BACTRIM DS?'' PLEASE FIND OUT THIS FOR ME.
LOOKING FORWARD TO A SWIFT RESPONSE FROM YOU AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE SO THAT WE COULD GET STARTED WITH TREATMENT. Please try to answer all of the above questions for me to the best of your ability. I need to know these answers first before I could further advise you on how to proceed.
YOURS TRULY.
[b]D. A. SAWH
[color=black]M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P.(UK)[/b][/color]
 shawnybravo20 - Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:30 pm

I was circumsised when i was born, i guess its just an american tradition,
I took the medicine about a week or so after i noticed the infection, the directions on the bottle said to take 1 pill twice daily, i started getting relief of the symptoms of the infection about 3 to 4 days after the 3rd day of taking these pills, no im not allergic to any antibiotics that I'm aware of, I am often perscribed antibiotics because I have mitral valve prolapse like when i go to the dentist etc.
Im not experiencing any symptoms at all currently, I first had sex about a week after taking the pills, but i have been careful to wash up well afterwards
And no, i did not experience any side effects from the antibiotics.
Could this type of infection simply be caused by having unprotected anal sex do to bacteria like e.coli etc...and not necessarily be an STD from my partner not being faithful?
 Dr. D. Sawh - Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:51 pm

Dear shawnybravo20,
Thanks for the swift response. Have u had the chance to talk to your partner whether she ever did have an STD as was outlined in my first correspondence to you with the questions to ask? As I had said before circumcision predisposes males to infections of this sort. [b]If you are going to have sex with her , ALWAYS USE A CONDOM. Have u told her about your condition? If not, you need to so that both of you could sit down and work this out. BOTTOM LINE: SHE HAS TO KNOW SOONER OR LATER. THIS IS DUE TO THE FACT THAT SHE MIGHT CARRY THE GERMS BOTH IN HER VAGINA AND RECTUM. SHE WOULD EVENTUALLY DISCOVER A DICHARGE FORM HER ORIFICES. SO , NOW IS THE TIME TO TELL HER ABOUT IT.[/b] DO NOT EVER HAVE UNPROTECTED SEX. ALWAYS USE A CONDOM.
PRECAUTIONS: 1) AVOID SEXUAL INTERCOURSE COMPLETELY, ESPECIALLY WHEN YOU ARE ON THE BELOW MENTIONED MEDICATIONS THAT I'M GOING TO LIST IN A MOMENT.
2) IT IS WISE FOR BOTH YOU AND YOUR PARTNER TO HAVE THE SAME TREATMENT.
3) MUST HAVE A CULTURE & SENSITIVITY TEST DONE ON BOTH OF YOU: THIS IS TO ASCERTAIN WHICH TYPE OF GERM YOU ARE CARRYING--- TOGETHER WITH THE APPROPRIATE TREATMENT. CONSULT A PHYSICIAN AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
4) THE DOCTOR MIGHT REQUEST FOR BOTH OF YOU TO TAKE BLOOD SAMPLES FOR SYPHILIS AT EVERY 3 MONTHS.
5) ONCE U ARE CIRCUMCISED, YOU ARE LIKELY TO GET REPEATED / RECURRENT INFECTIONS.
6) ONCE TREATMENT HAS STARTED, YOU CANNOT HAVE SEXUAL INTERCOURSE FOR AT LEAST 1-3 MONTHS DEPENDING ON TYPE OF INFECTION, NATURE OF INFECTION , SEVERITY OF INFECTION, TREATMENT PLAN, ETC.

TREATMENT: SINCE U ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO ANY ANTIBIOTICS, YOU COULD USE TETRACYCLINE CAPSULES : TAKE 2 CAPS.BY MOUTH EVERY SIX HOURS FOR 1 WEEK. OR
BACTRIM TABS: TAKE 4 TABLETS BY MOUTH TWICE DAILY FOR 5 DAYS.
OR
DOXYCYCLINE 100mg TWICE DAILY FOR ONE WEEK.
OR
PENICILLIN(AMOXYCILLIN) 500mg THREE TIMES DAILY FOR 7-10 DAYS.
N.B. WITH ALL THESE MEDICATIONS, YOU HAVE TO DRINK OUT THE ENTIRE COURSE OF TREATMENT TOGETHER WITH LOTS OF WATER (NOT FRUIT JUICES).
ALSO, NO ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES WITH ANY OF THESE MEDICATIONS.
ANY TYPE OF PENICILLIN IS TO BE TAKEN ALWAYS 1/2 HOUR BEFORE OR 1 HOUR LATER AFTER MEALS.
WITH ALL TETRACYCLINES, INCLUDING DOXYCYCLINE, AVOID COMPLETELY ALL DAIRY PRODUCTS(MILK, BUTTER, CHEESE, CHOCOLATE,ETC.), NO CALCIUM SUPPLEMENTS, NO IRON SUPPLEMENTS, NO CALCIUM AND/ OR MAGNESIUM CONTAINING ANTACIDS, NO ZINC SUPPLEMENTS AS WELL.
OTHER INFECTIVE AGENTS WHICH COULD GIVE RISE TO URETHRAL DISCHARGE INCLUDE Trichomonas, Candida, GENITAL WARTS, HERPES VIRUS, MECHANICAL ABRASIONS, TRAUMA & SYPHILIS. SO U CAN SEE HOW PERTINENT IT IS TO TELL YOUR PARTNER THE ABSOLUTE TRUTH AS WELL AS TO SEEK A DOCTOR'S CONSULTATION IN ORDER FOR HIM TO DO THE NECESSARY LABWORK, ETC.

I COULD ONLY GIVE YOU SOUND ADVICE FROM THIS END. I CANNOT DO MORE FOR YOU AT THIS STAGE. SEEK MEDICAL ASSISTANCE NOW BEFORE IT GETS OUT OF HAND.

LOOKING FORWARD TO HEARING RESULTS FROM YOU AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE.
BEST OF LUCK TO BOTH OF YOU. KEEP ME POSTED AS TO ANY FURTHER DEVELOPMENTS.

YOURS TRULY, D. A. SAWH
M.Sc., Pharm.D., M.D., F.R.C.P. (UK)