Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Difficulty Self Catheterrizing

ariesman - Tue Apr 28, 2009 9:44 am

I am a male aged 48. I have been having great difficulty self catheterizing. Either getting the catheter past the prostate or through the bladder neck. The only time it goes smoothly is after an erection or ejaculation. I take flomax and baclofen. This is very serious as I do want want to get a foley catheter and I would not be able to have a normal life. Any thoughts as to why this is happening? Thank you!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:48 am

I truely sympathise with you. As a surgeon, i am well aware how difficult catheterizations can be at times.This could be due to a narrowing of the prostatic urethra or due to reflex spasm of the bladder neck.Try to be patient, never do it in a hurry, relax, lubricate well - if necessary empty sufficient local anesthetic jelly into the urethra, milk it upwards & let it act (wait for 10-15 min) and then catheterize.
Good luck next time and every time thereafter!