Question: Catheter use effect on PSA reading

wbr - Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:44 pm

I recently showed a PSA reading of 4.8 which suggested a Urologist appt. to my primary care Dr.. I have since read that sexual activity and or a 'rectal prostate exam (which he preformed prior to the PSA blood test)can lead to elevated PSA readings. I have occasionally used a foley catheter on myself (using all suitable precautions against infection) for pleasure (as odd as that may sound). It's a practice called 'sounding'. Could this cause elevated PSA readings ? I don't want to progress to biopsies etc. if it's not VERY likely cancer is indicated!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 pm

While the reading is just borderline, and while there are certainly mitigating circumstances (the DRA, the "sounding"), statistically it is impossible to ignore the possibility of cancer, since 25-30% of men with levels between 4-10 tend to have it, is it feasible to have the test repeated with no DRA and with you having abstained for maybe a week from sounding? This should give a more accurate result and, if it is normal then, and especially if it is significantly lower, that should clear this up once and for all. On the other hand, if it is positive again, you can then reasonably plan for a biopsy.

Seems fairly simple, but I realize there are often some extenuating issues. It might be wise to have it done by another doctor -- or perhaps just clarify all this with the original doctor before repeating the test. At any rate, that would be the simplest way to avoid a potentially serious problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.