Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Catheter use effect on PSA reading

 wbr - Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:44 pm

I recently showed a PSA reading of 4.8 which suggested a Urologist appt. to my primary care Dr.. I have since read that sexual activity and or a 'rectal prostate exam (which he preformed prior to the PSA blood test)can lead to elevated PSA readings. I have occasionally used a foley catheter on myself (using all suitable precautions against infection) for pleasure (as odd as that may sound). It's a practice called 'sounding'. Could this cause elevated PSA readings ? I don't want to progress to biopsies etc. if it's not VERY likely cancer is indicated!
 John Kenyon, CNA - Sat May 23, 2009 8:04 pm

User avatar Hello --

While the reading is just borderline, and while there are certainly mitigating circumstances (the DRA, the "sounding"), statistically it is impossible to ignore the possibility of cancer, since 25-30% of men with levels between 4-10 tend to have it, is it feasible to have the test repeated with no DRA and with you having abstained for maybe a week from sounding? This should give a more accurate result and, if it is normal then, and especially if it is significantly lower, that should clear this up once and for all. On the other hand, if it is positive again, you can then reasonably plan for a biopsy.

Seems fairly simple, but I realize there are often some extenuating issues. It might be wise to have it done by another doctor -- or perhaps just clarify all this with the original doctor before repeating the test. At any rate, that would be the simplest way to avoid a potentially serious problem.

Hope this helps. Good luck to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us