Question: Female postcoital gross hæmaturia with symptoms of shock

Buckley - Sat May 02, 2009 6:07 pm

I am posting on behalf of my girlfriend, who is profoundly shy and lives in circumstances that discourage her from seeking medical help. I am very puzzled by the symptoms and have found nothing in the literature that seems remotely related unless she has a calculus lodged in an unusual location that never causes any pain and only abrades from shifting caused by the combination of orgasm with elevated physical activity in surrounding hours. We only see each other a few times a year, and she has never had any other partner, so the correlation between sexual intercourse and the symptoms seems solid.

Between 3 and 12 hours after sexual activities involving penetration culminating in orgasm, she seems to slide into shock: a gradually intensifying feeling of "weirdness" which verges on fainting if she is ambulatory. There is some nausea. These recede within an hour or two. However, two out of the three times they have been accompanied by gross hæmaturia. She states the discharge is definitely urethral, and it seems to be fresh blood with little urine. There is no pain associated with any of the symptoms or activities. The sexual activities are not what anyone would consider unusual or rough.

This has happened three times, all in this past year. The first two occurred in my presence, within some hours of sex culminating in orgasm for her, while we were out walking around. Other sexual activities not resulting in orgasm did not provoke the symptoms; nor do her own frequent masturbatory orgasms, which do not include significant penetration. The third and most recent episode occurred when she was alone, but within a few days seeing me, and following masturbatory orgasm. She had been more active physically than usual in the hours surrounding the episode, and this is also a feature of the first two episodes.

She is otherwise physically healthy, age 20, slender, but somewhat sedentary. She is probably borderline anæmic and needs to drink more water, which I goad her to do — it is this constant state of near dehydration that suggests to me a kidney stone. She takes no medicines of any kind.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:59 am

User avatar Hello,The symptoms are of postcoital migrane,the nausea,and the weird feeling.The bleeding though needs investigations to rule out infections,stone and growths.Rare but one cause is urethral hemangioma,a benign growth which can present with urethral bleeding after coitus.