Question: Very bad pain in anus HELP Me

kissxxx - Fri May 08, 2009 3:25 pm

Hello,Please Please help Im in terrible pain
I have been suffering severe pain in the anus for about six weeks now.I started using Ansol cream and supposities thinking it was piles but to no avail I then went to my G.P who had a look and said that there was none there,She put me on a cream which has made no difference at all and a medicine to make sure my stools were very soft but the condition is getting much worse.
I feel very bad pain all the time and it feels like it is going up a long way I cant sit,lie down,walk and at this stage am talking very strong painkillers which doesnt take the pain away but just a little easer I have also noticed that allthough my stools are very soft that the colour has turned black and there is blood there also.I have also been getting very bad pelvic pain about an hour before I need to go to the toilet.
I find that I am urinating about 26 times in a 24 hour period (am not sure if one is conected to the other though).
My gp has made light of this and I really don't know what to do next,Please please help Im in terrible pain.
Kind Regards
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:24 pm

User avatar Hello Dr.Jagesh,
Thank you so much for referring the post by kissxxx.
In patients presenting with this kind of symptom, a surgeon would like to first rule out
a) an acute anal fissure and
b) a sub mucus anorectal abscess.
Both can present with excruciating pain in the anus especially during defecation.In reading her account very carefully, i would tend to suspect a condition which presents as episodic,severe pain (spasms) in the anorectum -ie: 'Proctalgia Fugax'. This is also at times called as the 'Levator ani syndrome'.
This usually affects females, is episodic, usually occurs during nights and lasts upto 30 minutes or less.Believed to be caused by spasm of the levator ani muscles and the internal sphinctre muscle.
Many types of management are quoted (such as sitting on a base ball!,bending and touching ones own toes,anal massages and pharmacological therapy - calcium channel blockers,NSAIDs,Botulin toxin etc).
Whether her urinary frequency is related to this problem - i am not so sure.It needs to be evaluated as well.
Thank you once again for this thought provoking referral.