Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: bursa on elbow

rioesmarex - Sat May 16, 2009 12:54 am

I am a 67 year old white male retired and living in Mexico. I recently developed ( overnight ), a large fluid filled sac on the exterior of my left elbow. It does not hurt and it is not hot and there is no restriction of joint movement.
Following a doctors visit and lab work ... urine tests and blood work, there appears to be a slightly elevated Creatinine level ( 1.4mg/dl vs a norm of 0.6 - 1.3 mg/dl )
A course of anti-inflamatory medicine ( Naproxen ) was prescribed but two weeks later the swelling has not receded.
A follow up urine test ( sample collection over 24 hours ) indicated exactly the same numerical results as previously stated but a reading of something in Spanish ( which I can't translate ... " Depuracion de Creatinina en Orina de 24 horas " , showed 66.5 mL/min for me vs a norm of 98 - 156 mL/min for the average male

The doctor has recomended a visit to a urology specialist and without confirmation seems to think there is malfunction in the kidney filtering sytem caused by a build up in tolerance to medications over the years...... altho he says that all the medications I am currently on have no bearing.

However, after reading up on the subject what I have physically seems to be a bursa which could have been caused by a blow to the elbow that I don't even remember receiving. The onlt thing tht doesn't jibe is the fact that there is no pain or heat.

Given the info I have supplied do you feel that it a bursa caused by a blow, or some kind of kidney malfunction that is causing uric acid retention.
The doctor does not want to lance and drain the sac and indicates that it is a serious ernough issue that I should get it checked out further and refrain from strenous exercise

Do to my lack of medical expertise in Spanish, your comments /opinion would be appreciated
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 11, 2009 1:16 am

The bursa that you are referring to is probably an enlarged olecranon bursa behind elbow.This may be a result of trauma (esp repeated minor trauma rather than acute severe trauma).The back of the elbow is constantly subjected to pressure.One is usually unaware of this (for ex: the common posture of resting one's head in one's palm with the elbow supporting the weight of the head).This,in some individuals,may result in enlargement of the olecranon bursa(olecranon bursitis).
The slight alteration in the creatinine values could have been caused by NSAID use-but better be investigated.I do not think that olecranon bursitis has any direct relationship to kidney fuction. Cheers!