Question: Temporarily bloody urine after intermittent catheterization

shay2 - Wed May 20, 2009 8:52 pm

I perform intermittent catheterization due to a psychological issue (paruresis, shy bladder). Yesterday evening during an intermittent catheterization the catheter was slipping out so I kept pushing it back in, then some blood came out. Before that I did get urine flow from the bladder. I immediately removed the catheter and urinated normally about 250 mL of normal clear yellow urine, but with two small blood clots. I did not feel any pain during any of this.

A little later I urinated a bit and another small clot came out. A few hours later that night I urinated 400 mL of cloudy, orange urine, but no clots. Then just a few minutes later I was able to urinate a bit more and it was clear yellow. About half an hour later, before bed, just a small amount of urine, but it was pink, and with a clot.

The next morning (today), urine was normal, clear, no blood clots, and it's been completely ordinary all day (though I've been very gentle when urinating, avoiding straining). Through all this the only pain has been occasional soreness in the prostatic area when bending down or straining; I haven't had any pain urinating or when the sphincters open/close, as I sometimes do after catheterization. I've never had any urological symptoms like this or any urinary tract infections in the past, and have catheterized myself about 50 times total.

I don't have the money to see a urologist at the moment, and just wanted to get an idea of what this might have been. Basically, I'm thinking that bleeding due to catheterization might be common, and that the lack of pain and other symptoms might support this conclusion, but want to get some ideas. My guess is that I either irritated the urethral surface, hit the inside of my bladder with the tip, or perhaps pushed it into the ejaculatory duct (I was using a really soft catheter). Thanks for any insight.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:40 am

User avatar Hello,Some of the complications of self catheterization include urethral complications such as bleeding,false passages and also stricture formation apart from the commoner, infections.Sometimes a posterior ledge forms at the bladder neck and can problems like bleeding.You may need an urological evaluation if this recurs.