Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Fowlers Syndrome and 6 month UTI

Breezie - Mon May 25, 2009 10:20 pm

Hi there,

I am desperate for help at this stage. I hope you can help me.

I was diagnosed with Fowlers Syndrome and functional bowel and bladder disorder in February this year.

I was hospitalised for multiple reasons and have recovered from many of the symptoms I had. I now only have to use clean intermittent self catheterisation occasionally, however since I was first catheterised in hospital for three weeks I have had a severe UTI. I have been on a constant course of antibiotics (cephalexin) for approaching 6 months. As soon as I stop taking the antibiotics the infection reoccurs. I have also taken numerous other antibiotics but with no positive results.
I have also been prescribed Azithromycin to take in addition to the cephalexin. This still does not resolve the issue.

I am in extreme pain and the infection never really clears up. Mid stream urine samples taken whilst on antibiotics have actually shown no growth cultures, but symptoms persist.

My urologist can not see me until August and I am at my wits end as to what to do now. I am trying to find another urologist.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions you might have as to what other reasons (other than uncomplicated UTI) could be causing me this much discomfort and no relief in sight.

The pain is not limited to burning in the sphincters of the urethra, it very much feels higher and more intense in the general area of the bladder itself.

Please help. Many thanks,

Bree.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:33 am

User avatar Hello,There are two possiblities.Reinfection and relapse.The earlier is common the same stain which earlier causing the infection entering through the catheter after getting cured.The later is due to the persisting earlier infection which is due to an obstuction in the tract ,due to congenital problems.You may need to get investigated along these lines if the problem persists despite adequate therapy.Do keep in touch.My personal clinical impression is of reinfection.