Question: Is Prostatitis Possible when no Dysuria is present?

michaellettoff - Tue May 26, 2009 5:25 pm

I am 33. Have suspected prostatitis. Symptoms are groin pain, left testicle pain, pain when sitting, reduction of pain when up or performing an activity like Pilates. Occasional erection issues. No painful urination, or night urination, however I experience a strong immediate need to urinate when bladder is full, i.e. cannot hold for more than a few minutes. I am allergic to fluoroquinolones, I got an inflammation of my kidneys after the first day on Cipro. I did not have any fever or chills and was not found to have a bacterial infection, although only a urine test was performed. Epydidimitis, cancer and torsion was ruled out. This condition has been going for about a year and a half with degrees of pain intensity. Pain is about the same now for the past few weeks. Can't sit for longer than a few minutes, pain in groin, leg and testicle increases. Is prostatitis possible without dysuria? I drink about a gallon of water a day and keep relatively active. Depression has set in because of the pain. Someone suggested a possible pudendal, however wouldn't the pain be constant with pudendal? I have very minimal pain when in bed, sleeping. No pain when swimming or doing Pilates. How would a self performed gentle prostate massage affect the pain? Unable to fully function the past few months. Thanks.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Mon Aug 31, 2009 10:13 pm

User avatar Hello,Cronic prostatitis can indeed occur without dysuria.This mainly occurs as a chronic pevic pain syndrome.The cause may be bacterial or nonbacterial.A urine examination,a rectal examination,flowmetry,transrectal ultrasound are some of the tests .The bacterial one responds to antibiotics.The later is more common and stress management,ejaculating frequently are some of the methods used in here.Relating to prostatic massage best to consult your physician for vigorous massage can sometime lead to problems.Best wishes.