Question: Congenital Curve/Plication Surgery Problems

Concerned21906 - Wed May 27, 2009 5:59 am

On March 6, 2009 my 23 year old son had surgery to correct a ventral congenital curve that I was not aware he was born with. His fiance and he, not knowing where to go,brought it to my attention 1-1/2 years ago.They had confided in me that it was virtually impossible to be intimate because of his downward curve.We did alot of research,and after many months he decided to go forward with the surgery. The surgery was performed by degloving the penis right below the gland and then two non-desolving stitches where placed to "tether" the penis in the opposite direction of the curve. I thought we had done our "homework" and we reasearched the subject and felt it was safe to do.he Dr. told us that there would be no problems with the proceedure.Well now he finds himself nearly 3 months post surgery and although they are able to be intimate he has vertually no sensation other than in the gland.He is now feeling a very very little at the base and a small section on the side. We are concerned that the dorsal nerve bundles has been damaged.How long does it take for nerves to reconnect or regrow nerve endings?Is it common to have temporary loss of sensation after this surgery? How many months can he expect before full sensation returns? The two sutures are also a bit painful and raised. I would apprecite any direction, suggestions or help you could offer. We are all very concerned about this.Thank you for your help!!!!
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:46 am

The penile skin is supplied by 3 nerves.
1) base of the penis by the ilio-inguinal nerves
2) 'upper' surface and sides by the dorsal penile nerves and
3) 'under surface' by the perineal nerves.
In the surgery for correction of chordee, nerves 2&3 mentioned above are at a higher risk of injury.
Under the best of circumstances,Nerve regeneration occurs at a rate of roughly 1mm/day( about 1 inch/month) in human peripheral nerves.
I trust this info is useful to you.Good luck!