Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Frequent Urination and Excessive Fluid Consumption

Varnae - Wed May 27, 2009 5:18 pm

OK, I really feel like one of those lame patients on House M.D. that has a problem with a really simplistic answer.

I keep having a frequent urge to urinate. This includes getting up several times in the middle of the night to urinate. The cause is excessive drinking of water, which I can't seem to stop doing. For the last week or so I have been drinking at least 3-4 liters of water a day. It seems that whenever I go to the bathroom I need to drink immediately after.

I had this happen about 2 years ago as well. I went to the doctor because my grandfather developed diabetes (although at a late age) and I tested negative for diabetes and a UTI.

The one similarity between then and now is that I have started having sex again. I started having sex with my now ex-girlfriend two years ago and it was around then that I had these symptoms. We have since broken up. I dated a Catholic for 16 months (no sex there). After we broke up, I started dating someone new. Now that we are having sex, the symptoms seems to be returning.

At first I thought that this might be a UTI that is causing frequent urination. But given the fact that I have no other symptoms (pain, fever, etc), I'm not sure that a UTI is the answer. If I throw out the urination symptom of excessive fluid consumption, then I need to know what could be causing me to crave water continuously.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 pm

User avatar HI,psychogenic polydipsyia which is nothing but an anixiety state seems to be your problem.Other causes like diabetes insipidus can be ruled out by simple urine test of measuring specific gravity.