Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Frequent Urination and Excessive Fluid Consumption

Varnae - Wed May 27, 2009 5:18 pm

OK, I really feel like one of those lame patients on House M.D. that has a problem with a really simplistic answer.

I keep having a frequent urge to urinate. This includes getting up several times in the middle of the night to urinate. The cause is excessive drinking of water, which I can't seem to stop doing. For the last week or so I have been drinking at least 3-4 liters of water a day. It seems that whenever I go to the bathroom I need to drink immediately after.

I had this happen about 2 years ago as well. I went to the doctor because my grandfather developed diabetes (although at a late age) and I tested negative for diabetes and a UTI.

The one similarity between then and now is that I have started having sex again. I started having sex with my now ex-girlfriend two years ago and it was around then that I had these symptoms. We have since broken up. I dated a Catholic for 16 months (no sex there). After we broke up, I started dating someone new. Now that we are having sex, the symptoms seems to be returning.

At first I thought that this might be a UTI that is causing frequent urination. But given the fact that I have no other symptoms (pain, fever, etc), I'm not sure that a UTI is the answer. If I throw out the urination symptom of excessive fluid consumption, then I need to know what could be causing me to crave water continuously.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:40 pm

User avatar HI,psychogenic polydipsyia which is nothing but an anixiety state seems to be your problem.Other causes like diabetes insipidus can be ruled out by simple urine test of measuring specific gravity.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us