Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: 7 weeks after vasectomy and still fertile.

individual - Thu May 28, 2009 8:40 am

To say im gutted is an under statement.

I had a vasectomy 8 weeks ago which resulted in a severe infection and ended up in hospital.

The vas was cut, both ends tied, and both ends quarterised. Pretty much a bullit proof job you would have thought, but it appears not.

My first sample went in after 5 weeks and 25 ejaculations and it showed a small amount of live sperm, Ok I thought lets give it a bit longer.

I put in another sample this morning, so thats now 7 weeks and about 40 blow offs and the results have come back showing even more live sperm

Is it possible that sperm can still be alive after 7 weeks? Or does it seem like the tubes have joined up again.
Im absolutely gutted as I went through so much pain and trauma after the Opp.

My doctor is off this week so cannot help me.

Cheers for any info.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:07 am

User avatar Hello,Recanalization though a possiblity is unlikely in your case.The time frame is short and a couple of months of sperm count may decide an early failure.Generally a period of 4 months have to elapse.Late recanalization is extremely rare.
 Dr Paul Turek - Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Time to sterilization after vasectomy varies from individual to individual. In general, about 90% of men have no sperm in the ejaculate 3 months after a vasectomy. The other fact is that ejaculation is a very inefficient "pump" to remove residual sperm, probably clearing 15% of sperm in the tubes after each episode. So, this means that some men need up to 6-8 mos to "clear the pipes" after vasectomy.

Having motile sperm persist in the ejaculate after 6 mos is a concern however. This needs to be followed monthly while other forms of contraception are continued. If it persists up to 8 mos post-procedure, then I would consider it a technical failure and repeat the vasectomy procedure.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us