Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: 7 weeks after vasectomy and still fertile.

individual - Thu May 28, 2009 8:40 am

To say im gutted is an under statement.

I had a vasectomy 8 weeks ago which resulted in a severe infection and ended up in hospital.

The vas was cut, both ends tied, and both ends quarterised. Pretty much a bullit proof job you would have thought, but it appears not.

My first sample went in after 5 weeks and 25 ejaculations and it showed a small amount of live sperm, Ok I thought lets give it a bit longer.

I put in another sample this morning, so thats now 7 weeks and about 40 blow offs and the results have come back showing even more live sperm

Is it possible that sperm can still be alive after 7 weeks? Or does it seem like the tubes have joined up again.
Im absolutely gutted as I went through so much pain and trauma after the Opp.

My doctor is off this week so cannot help me.

Cheers for any info.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:07 am

User avatar Hello,Recanalization though a possiblity is unlikely in your case.The time frame is short and a couple of months of sperm count may decide an early failure.Generally a period of 4 months have to elapse.Late recanalization is extremely rare.
 Dr Paul Turek - Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:43 pm

Time to sterilization after vasectomy varies from individual to individual. In general, about 90% of men have no sperm in the ejaculate 3 months after a vasectomy. The other fact is that ejaculation is a very inefficient "pump" to remove residual sperm, probably clearing 15% of sperm in the tubes after each episode. So, this means that some men need up to 6-8 mos to "clear the pipes" after vasectomy.

Having motile sperm persist in the ejaculate after 6 mos is a concern however. This needs to be followed monthly while other forms of contraception are continued. If it persists up to 8 mos post-procedure, then I would consider it a technical failure and repeat the vasectomy procedure.