Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: broken muscle(ligamnet) in urinating part

 suna - Sun Jun 07, 2009 11:13 am

iam sorry to post this kind of problem,but i beg for forgiveness and i humbly ask for any suggestion. iam suffering from serious problems.a physical disorder i developed due to my indulgence in fantacies ,once my muscle in penis at the joint of penis starting point and bladder (where it starts)( i think ligament)was broke , while i breaking i had only momentary pain.since then i am not able to lift it. not even get self erection, unless i use hand. it falls which ever side i tilt it falls as a loose hanging one. and it has shruken drastically at the time of damage it self.i cant control ( connecting muscle is which i got damaged ). it happend around 5 (five ) years back.i request u to suggest about my status(as iam 32 years) and any hope for getting better,iam feeling any body has good suggestion help me. i hope it don't efefect any one. thanku gor ur readng patiently my problem. thankingu
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:36 am

User avatar Hello,You can not break a ligament by masturbation.What probably you have is a guilt relating to this and fear added.Do consult your doctor but I do not see any thing other than this mentioned.
 suna - Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:04 am

actually what happend is i was raising and lowering my urinating organ , due to which i think i got strained i think muscle(or some thing) which supports in controlling has strained and got teared.and had momentary pain that time.since then lost control over it even to move also needs help of hand for all , and has shruken.
i showed to urologist ,they say nothing in it they can recognize or sense and closed my case. when i compalin of lost control and shrunkennes they say may need mri and all .
now in this scenario i don't unsderstand what to do. pls some one help me as itis effecting my self,being .
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:41 am

User avatar Hello,Extremely rare is penile fracture, in which a covering around the penile tissue the tunica albuginea gets ruptured.It is a medical emergency.It is generally accompanied by injury to urethra.Woman on top position has been the usual cause.Masturbation I am not aware of.You seem to be having problem of erectile dysfunction rather than a penile fracture.Do get your self evaluated along these lines.
 suna - Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:15 am

initially everything was normal naturally i can control or move with out help of hand. at the time of injury i had momentary pain ,then after that it shruken and lost control , i cant even move also i need use help of hand.its been like since some time (6 years), i don't see any improvement in my situatation.currently to move or to get erect i need to use force of hand although i find difference in functionality due to is size (aftershrinking )before and after.
is there any treatment to this condition asits been long time for it.
 suna - Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:19 am

actuallu i consulted urologist also. they examined but don't want say any thing , i think they don't want to tell , sayng they r unable to determine may need mri to diagnose the problem.and they closed my case saying no urology required.
please give some suggestion to better way to get better
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 03, 2009 8:27 pm

User avatar Hello,
The normal penis is suspended from the pubic bone(part of the pelvis) by two ligaments (suspensory ligament and fundiform ligament).They suspend the penis in such a way that the normal penis hangs from the pubic bone with an upward convexity in the relaxed state(this convexity disappears during an erection).These ligaments can become weak or can undergo tears (violent masturbation, other trauma - acute or chronic). This may result in the loss of normal curve of the penis and a palpable gap just above the root of the penis where it attaches to the pubic bone.Erectile dysfunction can be a sequel.Your problem may or may not be related to this.
It could be an erectile dysfunction due to another cause.
Injury to the ligaments of the penis does not normally result in a shrunken penis as is your case.
Torn penile ligaments can be repaired with successful outcomes.
An expert urologist should be able to sort out your problem.
I thank Dr.Jagesh kamath for referring this post to me.
 suna - Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:46 am

is this a case of erectile dysfunction though having erections with help of hand with percepted difference in erection after the injury.can u suggest me how to goabout to better my situation if at all it can be, as iam staying in bangalore canu suggest some specialist institutes for this problem.
 suna - Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:55 am

previous urologist thought that lt could be due to psychological problem. but after some time ,could nt come to conclusion without mri. canu suggest me way to get diagnose and treat consultancy as it effecteing being and feeling shame
 suna - Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:58 am

i have one more doubt , is this condition can we it is instance of impotency or any possible to get it.i woul like to know about how to come about that.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon Oct 05, 2009 7:05 am

User avatar Hi suna,
Penile fractures are actually tears in the ligaments of the penis since the penis contains no bone structure. However, there is typically a snap with excruciating pain when the injury occurs. The injury most often occurs when the penis is fully erect. Untreated injury can result in impotence or Peyronie's disease (curvature of the penis). If a MRI was suggested I would strongly suggest that you have this diagnostic study completed for an evaluation. I can understand how this would affect you both physically and emotionally. The first step is to have the diagnosis reached by a specialist physician. If you have currently received no adequate answer by your current treating physician then I would encourage you to seek a second opinion by another specialist. Again I would also encourage the MRI diagnostic. Best wishes! Thank you Dr. J. Kamath and Dr. M. Kamath for the referral!

Theresa Jones, RN
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:44 am

User avatar Hi Suna,
Penile fracture, as correctly alluded to by Theresa Jones, RN, occurs commonly during the erect state of the penis.
It is due to rupture of the "tunica albuginea'- a fibrous envelope sorrounding the corpora cavernosa of the penis.The corpora also may fracture along with this depending upon the forces involved.
The suspensory ligament and the fundiform ligaments are usually uninvolved but injuries to these ligaments may co-exist.
You may approach the Manipal Hospital, or the wockhardt hospital in bangalore.
I wish to thank Dr.J. kamath and Theresa Jones, RN for their prompt replies.
 suna - Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:43 pm


my urinating organ has developed this situation after an injury to penis which i sense at the root (or starting) of penis when i was raising and lowering up and down .at that time i had momentary pain at that point.i think it is in erect state. since then only i can move so up and down(and i used to erect it during that time often).
i think resulted in damage to some tissues in side penis at the base of the penise which r responsible to control it and support.after the momentary pain suddenly shruken much and lost control over it cant move also litile without help of hand even to pass urine for direction purpose.and though i have erections but only with help of hand which means i have only forced erection even in that also i sense there is difference in either length or angle of ertected one(i think totaly upward right) .
i am not sure this is called penile frature or not and what this situation is known .
and i wish to know is it reversibe. if so does it requires need of surgery . is treating it risk worthy enough to improve situation with out complicating further.

my earlier doctor i think don't want tell me completely(may be due to irrversebitiy or not worthy to risk) hence simply closed my case saying nourology required.
i wish tobe diagnosed my situation but is there benefit and cure for it.and also i wish to know any side effects of mri or ultrascanning of any type on my both genaral and sexual health of which iam fearing.
i wish to know even it is diagnosed is there any safe and risk free way of treating it to improve it or is better to leave it so as it is been long time.
i have all these questions coming to my mind pls help.
i request me to guide me as this situation effeting my being and have struck in life.
 suna - Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:15 am


i for got to tell nothing emergency araised. i just had mometary pain at the root of penis and lost control and shruken . other thn this i don't sense difference in its state. which i negleted . been long time(6 years). as its effecting my being even all my friends r telling it is drastically shruken which i also sense and feel, this letting me feel humiliatingly.i wish to know is there any side effectof mri and scanning and treatment.
and how to go about handling it.
 suna - Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:23 am


another condition which i sense is penis got thinner not only shruken totally and loosly hanging and no cotrol to move also.but in erection (with help of hand )i see got thinner.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:16 am

User avatar Hi Suna,
If it had been a fracture of the penis, ideal time for repair(to get the best possible outcome) would have been immediatly following the trauma(as an emergency repair).
If it had been rupture of the suspensory ligament or fundiform ligament, then the ideal time for repair would have been after a week or two following the injury (time needed for the acute post - traumatic inflammation to subside).
As you can see, we are discussing about this 6 years hence. As i am no expert in this type of surgery, i may not be able to accurately predict the outcome of such a late repair.
MRI may be able to reveal the damage(if any) to the tunica albuginea but whether it may image the suspensory and fundiform ligaments, i am not that certain. Also, an MRI angiogram may reveal the current state of the erectile tissue (the corpora cavernosa). This will be very useful in deciding on the future theraputic options.
I wish you luck!
 suna - Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:23 am

i met again another urological doctor . he says does not look abnormal and ,its my thinkg only. for my satisfaction he written for ultrasound scanning of penis.and blood and urine test also.
i want to know r there any immediate side effects of ultrasound scanning to penis or tissues inside it or long term effects due to it. will it give complete picture of any abnormality that exists.
as my doctor don't want it to be get done as there is noneed of it.but for my sake they r suggesting for scanning.but im afraid of its side effects.
pls suggest me in this regard
 suna - Thu Oct 08, 2009 5:33 am

i want to know if there is no injury(mometary pain while moving up and down in erected state) why i am not able to move without help of hand , why iam feeling i have shrunken my penis and why i have lost erections just by thinking which i don't have unless i use hand .why iam feeling better when i support my penis tightly externally by tight wearing of dress.i just want to know how to deal the situation.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 08, 2009 7:50 pm

User avatar Hello suna,
Thank you so much for your post.Ultrasonography of the penis is quite safe.Do not worry!
 suna - Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:40 am


i have taken second opinion of situation from another urologist in mani pal hospital.
here i am giving my complete details of case history.i want is ther any risks invloved
diagnosing this situation as iam much worrlied about even in gentic and long term effects of it. as unble to know exactly thecause of the problem.

Some time (about 6 years ) ago I had a self made injury to my urinating organ while I was raising and lowering urinating organ in the erected state. At that time I felt momentary pain at the root(staring of the penis) of urinating part.iam not sure of about sound of tearing .immediately penis got shrunken drastically which I can feel it(of shrukenness) in my mind and also recognize it by seeing smooth folding of skin over penis.and also cannot move horizontally or vertically(lift) which I think before the injury was able to do the same , it is loosely hanging as if lost completely control over it.
i think the incident caused damage to some tissues in side penis at the base of the penis which r responsible to control it and support. .

I thought I broke a ligament which supports in right position (or fix) and control its movement mere by wishing with out help of hand. I feel like I have broken some thing which holds tight in position and and right manner (with out skin folding).i can feel and sense some thing loosely hanging and shrunken which is so since injury .but nothing of emergency sort happened; hence I didn’t care about it. Prior to injury I used to get my urinating organ just by thought only now I need to use help hand to get it erected. In addition to shrunken ness (became small) I sense in erected state I sense it became thin in erected state.

As it is affecting my being since then, recently I met urologist. They say they could not find any abnormality in it except its smallness in size (which I would say was not earlier) .but when I complain they say it needs mri or ultrasound test to confirm it. They did not ask me that it is necessary and they closed my case saying no urology required. But they were not listening my complaints of feeling of brokenness. I think they thought that it is better to continue in the present state than take a risks involved either in diagnosis or there after surgery which is unworthy to proceed further.

After some I went to another urologist as I could not solve my problem which am facing.
Another urologist also examined and said it is normally so only and all are due to my thinking only.for my satisfaction asked for ultracsound scanning test.
I thought no one is able to understand my situation of having kind awkward feeling of broken and shrunken penis and also sense of it just by physical having look at it.

And I am worried about risks (short and long term side effects of tests (functioning and genetically) involved in diagnosis as I don’t want deteriorate further my condition.
Hence I want to physically examine well with the following symptoms.

Status before the injury:
1.I think prior to the injury size of penis was longer(which I can sense of becoming small later)earlier I did not have any kind of feeling ,I was normal and not worried about its size (what ever its actual size).
2. Skin over the penis is normal I do not have any worry about it.
3. I can get erection just by thought only no need of help of hand.
4. I think I had control over movement when ever I wish to move either for passing urine for direction without help of hand.
Incident: I was lowering and rising my urinating I think in erect state .suddenly I had sensed pain at the root of the penis, I think immediately lost erected state and became normal. but at the time only I sense I could not move it little also could not it erect
by thought only and I can sense the shrukenness by size drastic change. And nothing of emergency happened.

At the time of injury:
I sensed a momentary pain at the root of the penis I think where the it is balanced. I think I heard sound of tearing but I am not sure of it .then i thought I have teared my ligaments.
But nothing of emergency sort happened so I did not care. But I noticed some difference in feeling due to its size and movement and thought wise erections.i think I was straining
my ligaments which lead to this injury after some time(I think role of fatigue ness in it is cause)

Status since the injury:
1.I think after the injury size of penis became smaller (which I can sense by its smallness which earlier was not there)earlier I did not have any kind of feeling ,I was normal and not worried about its size (what ever its actual size) , now I am worried about its shrukenness as its state let me so. Some times some of my friends complain me about what have I done with my urinating organ just when my shirt in inserted in pant (in shirt).
Means they r able to judge it by out side look only some thing which is abnormal. and I see some people stare at my urinating organ as if some thing was abnormal in its state. This makes me quite emarrssing.duet o which I am not able to concentrate as it is effecting my being both internally (self) and externally (others perception) also.
One of my urologists also said this in his report.
2. I am sensing its shrunken state (feeling of shrukenness) which I can recognize by its smooth skin folding over penis. I do have worry about its folding skin over the penis.
3. I think I had lost control over its movement when ever I wish to move either for passing urine for direction without help of hand and hanging loosely which ever side I move as If completely teared it supporting ligaments or so.

4. I cannot get erection (only little almost nil) just by thought only which I can surly say I had earlier. But have erections with the help of hand only but with sense of reduced thickness in its erected state.

i am not sure this is called penile fracture or not and what this situation is known .
And i wish to know is it reversible. If so does it require need of surgery? is treating it risk worthy enough to improve situation with out complicating further .

for that i wish to be diagnosed my situation. And also i wish to know any side effects of mri or ultra scanning of any type on my both general and sexual health of which I am fearing.
I want some suggestion about how to diagnose (without undue requirement)without side effects both genetic or short term which I am worried more and go about solving this problem and what would be the right way of handling this there any treatment to this condition as its been long time for it.

Please give some suggestion to better way to get better.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Fri Oct 09, 2009 5:53 am

User avatar Hello,you would need a few tests done to make things clearer.One important test is Nocturnal penile tumescence (NPT) test which will give an idea about as to whether you are having proper erections and a doppler ultra.Do get tested and keep in touch too.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us