Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Kidney Stone sporadic non-debilitating pain

purduephotog - Thu Jul 30, 2009 5:36 pm

I am currently 'loaded' with my 30 and 31st kidney stones which are 4mm in size in both kidneys. I have had two CTs in the past month for this reason.

Yesterday while traveling I began to experience the 'classic' kidney stone symptoms for me- dull ache pain in the similar to a tennis ball being pressed into my back. This pressure increased to a golfball pressure, at which point I went to my urologist and dropped off a urine sample to (hopefully) prove I had blood in it from a stone.

Two hours later (8hrs from start) I called and asked for Oxycodone/APAP 5/325 to control the pain as it was progressively getting worse.

Four hours after that (12 hrs from start) a switch was flipped and the pain just stopped and I was able to urinate freely again.

About 4 hours after that I had 2 minutes of muscle spasms in nearly the same spot.

Unfortunately I did not have the presence of mind to grab a sharpie and mark the locations of the pain and spasms.

The next day I had the 2nd CT which confirmed, according to the radiologist, that the stone was still present, had not moved, and there was no blockage- the stone is near the top of the kidney.

The PA I saw (my doctor was in surgery) gave me the same statements that my urologist has given in the past- that stones simply do not wiggle around like that, cause pain, and then go away... and that my pain must be from something else.

The CTs showed no lesions, bumps, lumps, clots, etc. A cytology of the urine sample was also ordered since I did used to work for a chemical company (nothing was present at the last scoping when I had ESW to remove a stone) to rule out any tumors or bladder cancer.

In short, I'm going out of my mind here because I am feeling intimidated by the doctor repeatedly telling me that my random bouts of pain can not be related to the stones, even though it can start, stop, and present with needle like sensations in the tip of my penis. I've run through the standard pain meds trying to find one that works without impairing my work ability. For a while the Oxy 5/325 when cut in half (permissible) worked fine- no more than a 5% tested slow down in reflexes (I have access to that sort of equipment at work) and suppressed the (apparent) stone pain so that I could function. The bouts would be sporadic and last no more than 24 hours over several days, and up to two weeks for 3-6 hour stretches.

What am I doing wrong or not communicating- or, as I am starting to fear, am I simply hallucinating the pain (and now apparently blood) on an irregular basis?

The pain I describe is non-debilitating- I can function. I have had stones with so much pain I have been in fetal position in the bath tub being blasted with a waterjet to try and numb the position while taking heavy doses of pain killers, for hours- that I call debilitating pain. Yesterdays was strong enough to prevent me from being able to concentrate and function at my job, but not enough for me to present as an invalid at ER.

Help in any form of suggestion or conversation would be greatly appreciated- this is even more 'speaking' than I've been able to get with my doctor.
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:56 am

User avatar Hello,Your pain is possibly related to some movement of the stones during travel.Low back pain may not correct itself so fast.Apart from that since you know the nature of renal colic pain you would be best informed about the nature of the pain.I do not think you are imagining the pain.Your doctor may examine you to rule out infection if any, which could contribute to this pain.Do keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.Best wishes.