Question: Mysterious Urinary Frequency

stegasaurus - Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:56 am

Hi there. I am a 21 year old female and for the past year now, I have been having problems with urinary frequency. I feel like I have to pee all the time, like I have a constant pressure on my bladder, and I go to the bathroom about once an hour (or more). At night I wake up an average of 2 times to go use the bathroom.

First I thought it was a urinary tract infection. My doctor put me on antibiotics and nothing happened. I had my urine tested--nothing wrong. I had a bladder and kidney ultrasound--nothing wrong. I had a cystocopy and bladder scope--nothing wrong. I had my blood tested for diabetes and such, but my blood work came back normal. I saw a gynecologist who gave me a pap/pelvic exam in case it was related to that but guess what? They didn't find anything wrong.

I have seen two seperate urologists over course of the past year, and I've taken numerous medications for overactive bladder which haven't helped at all (i.e. Sanctura, Enablex, Detrol LA, Toviaz, Urispaz... and probably more that I'm forgetting). If anything some of these medicines have just made it more difficult to urinate, so that I feel the need to urinate even more frequently! My symptoms aren't completely in line with overactive bladder anyway. I don't have incontinence and a scan of my bladder showed that I am emptying my bladder fully. Also, I'm not urinating larger (or smaller) amounts, just more frequently because of the pressure. My diet hasn't changed or anything like that.

I'm a pretty healthy person in other respects, but I am starting to fear that this problem is never going to go away. I am desperate for any suggestions anyone might have or if anyone has any idea what my problem could be. Thanks!
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:25 am

User avatar When all the organic problems are ruled out you have to rule out psychogenic factors,which indeed can cause all the symptoms mentioned.Subjectively you may say you are ok but deep seated problems of the mind sometimes need appraisal.