Question: monoorchism (one testicle)

etanen69 - Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Im a 37 year old with one testicle it is very soft and seems small am i more likely to have a decreased testosterone level. I have no sex drive at all and have alot of the symptoms of low testosterone all but one.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 16, 2009 8:07 am

User avatar Hi etanen69,
There are some possibilities which come immediatly to my mind...
a) It is possible that you had a type of undescended testis [(the 'nubbin' - where a tiny button-like remnant of the testis remains) - which can be only confirmed at surgery)] on one side and a unrecognized torsion on the other side, leading to testicular atrophy. Or..
b) Had an episode of torsion on one side first, leading to total testicular atrophy and later torsion of the other testicle, which is presently soft(atrophic).
possibility a) is most likely.
This could have resulted in loss of endocrine function of the testes (often some endocrine function remains intact despite loss of spermatogenesis).
Please consult an endocrinologist to evaluate your problem.cheers!