Question: Pain and urinary incontinence after cysto and bladder biopsy

claymax - Thu Sep 10, 2009 1:53 am

hi,

I am 26 yrs old male and had cystoscopy under anesthesia and bladder biopsy on July 27,2009. Cystoscopy shows inflamed bladder and prostate. Dr also did overextension of the bladdder. Result of biopsy is mild cystitis and bladder capacity normal (600). Had catheter after procedure in the hospital. Its been 1 month and I have pain urinating, especially towards the end of the flow. And I have constant urge to urinate and pain on the tip of the penis (stinging pain). I cannot exercise, espcially running since I see blood and pain when urinating. And I hv bladder spasm that made me feel that my bladder is pulling my body down.

Is this a stricture? I have seen my urologist and he said this is normal. But its been 1+ month after cysto and biopsy, and I am never the same. Before I had frequency problem but not pain and consistent urge to urinate. This is all caused by cystoscopy and bladder biopsy.

Do you think I will ever recover? Is my bladder or urethra damaged forever?. To all of you who read my story, please do cystoscopy only when you need it. The pain is tremendous and its not as easy as it sounds. Thanks for reading my question
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:00 am

Majority of patients who undergo cystoscopy do not experience the problems you are experiencing (may be some pain & frequency during the initial few days, but not over a prolonged period).
I do not understand the exact indication for the cystoscopy from your account. Also from which part of the urinary bladder the biopsies were taken (biopsies from the trigone area or very close to the bladder neck may produce symptoms such as yours.Get your urine cultured and get treated for UTI (if any).
Hopefully it should settle down soon.Good luck!
 claymax - Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:10 pm

Thank you for your response Dr. Kamath.

I will ask my urologist on the biopsy area. Recently I had particles coming out through the urine, and my urologist said it is blood cloth as a result of the biopsy and cystoscopy. Is it normal to pass through blood cloth after procedure, espcially after 2-3 month post procedure?

I addressed to him that I would ask for second opinion as he said he ran out of solutions. The last medicine he gave me was to treat gram negative infection, and I felt like I am part of an experiment.

Thank you so much for your response Dr. Kamath

Clark
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:36 am

Thanks for sharing with us your progress.Is it possible for a biopsy site to continue bleeding?...
Usually 'no' but occassionally, 'Yes'.
Different parts of the urinary bladder experience mechanical stresses probably differently.
For example, a biopsy very close to the internal meatus undergoes squeezing type of stress due to sphincter activity. This kind of a stress is unlikely at the fundus region of the urinary bladder.
Therefore, a biopsy taken from close to the internal meatus(bladder neck) could heal rather slowly(due to repeated breakdown of the healing mucosa).
Another variable is the depth of the biopsy itself.
I hope my explanation is understandable. Good luck!