Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Urology Answers List

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Erectile Dependancy??

Ogre89 - Wed Sep 30, 2009 3:22 am

Hi, I am hoping that this site can answer an important quetsion of mine. You see my girlfreind was talking to friend of her who said that using a penis pump often can make me permanantly dependant on it, is that true?? Also is there any harm in using the device while I am not erect to become erect ??
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:18 pm

User avatar Hello,The indication for vacuum therapy is erectile dysfunction, and could be used with people having this problem espcially relating to blood supply to the penis,ie venooccusive problem.So it is best to get evaluated for ED before using the device.Here the erection differs from the normal erections in that there is no muscle relaxation which causes the erection in the normal.Here blood is trapped in the intra and extrcorporeal areas of the penis.This is uually used on the flaccid penis.When the band is introduced the front portion will engorge but the back portion may become limp could cause some problems known as fulcrum effect.This is not to be used by people with bleeding disorders or with excessive curvature of penis as in peyronies.Hope this information helps.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us