Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge ( does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Pain and small bump found in right testicle

 00tsinoisiver - Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:49 pm


It all started some time about a week or two ago, I started to notice some pain in my right testicle. It was a dull pain and happened only when walking or sitting wrong. The pain has not grown more intense as the week progressed just stayed "tender". I decided to examine my testicles when I noticed a small bump the size or a pencil led. After discovering it, I immediately called my doctor to schedule a appointment. After the appointment the doctor referred me to a urologist and directed me to get an ultrasound. After my ultrasound me and the technician started talking, and she noticed that I was visibly upset. She assured with out giving me a diagnosis that I should not be worried. She stated that the bump looked superficial (although it looked to be attached the the right testicle) and did not look like a cancerous lump, she also mentioned that she has been doing this for years.

My question is are cysts usually painful and if so what can I do to relieve the pain. The doctor prescribed me no medication and did not seem too concerned with the bump and even told me to check back in a month to look at my blood pressure (since it was high because I was extremely anxious). I could not tell you when exactly the pain started but it could not have been more then a week or so. The only time it hurts is when pressure is on the right testicle (touching, moving, sitting wrong and walking).

I am a 24 yr old, married (4+ years) that is fairly active. (running, sports..etc)

I am still concerned and awaiting an appointment with a urologist (they are telling me it can be a month before I can even get an appointment).
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:28 pm

User avatar Hi,
You have not mentioned the exact location of this 'lump'.
There are some differential diagnoses however...
- appendix of the testis (usually at its upper pole)
- appendix of the epididymis(again at the upper pole of epididymis)
- thickened lower pole of the epididymis (usually due to epididymitis)

All of these are capable of producing recurrent pains. The first two of them can present with acute excruciating scrotal pain if they undergo torsion on their pedicles(and thus mimick torsion of the testicle).
Important to always exclude torsion (doppler during ultrasound examination will be able to show this).
I hope this inormation is useful to you.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

  • Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

  • Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us