Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Trace of protein in Urine sample

gfp - Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 am

I recently have moved house, and concequently doctors. i registered with my local doctor and they insisted i had a health check, which i had this afternoon.

Usual process, weighed, measured, BP/pulse, BMI, questions of history and a routine urine test.

so i dutifully supplied a sample, and she tested it there and then while asking me about general life.

The nurse explained, that i had a trace of protein in my urine, which would concur with the information i had provided:

I've recently just graduated but, in this final year i had been doing alot of gym training and riding up until about March this year, then i stopped all training to focus on university, where i was spending 20+ hours a day working, often skipping meals, high amounts of stress and generally caining myself. I started off a healthy 10st 5 5ft 10 BMI 22 active male, and the next time i weighed myself after graduation, i 'd lost 6lb.

the nurse told me that the protein trace would concur with my weight loss, in her opinion in muscle mass. I've since put on weight back up to about 10st 4lb but have only been doing minimal cycling (which is what i was training for as i was on the university team)

I've been booked in in a couple of weeks for a routine blood test to make sure my kidneys are fine.

i'm now, consequently a bit concerned :S i've not done any high physical activity regularly for at least 3months, i'm eating 3 decent varied meals a day, although i am generally active, trying to find a job currently
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 am

User avatar Hi,
Presence of traces of protein in the urine does not result in weight loss and does not indicate that you are losing muscle mass.
The 24 hour urinary Nitrogen excretion would correlate with muscle mass.
I do not see any compelling reason for you to stop your regular exercises or leading a normal, healthy and contented life!!
Cheers!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us