Medical Specialty >> Urology

Question: Trace of protein in Urine sample

gfp - Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:34 am

I recently have moved house, and concequently doctors. i registered with my local doctor and they insisted i had a health check, which i had this afternoon.

Usual process, weighed, measured, BP/pulse, BMI, questions of history and a routine urine test.

so i dutifully supplied a sample, and she tested it there and then while asking me about general life.

The nurse explained, that i had a trace of protein in my urine, which would concur with the information i had provided:

I've recently just graduated but, in this final year i had been doing alot of gym training and riding up until about March this year, then i stopped all training to focus on university, where i was spending 20+ hours a day working, often skipping meals, high amounts of stress and generally caining myself. I started off a healthy 10st 5 5ft 10 BMI 22 active male, and the next time i weighed myself after graduation, i 'd lost 6lb.

the nurse told me that the protein trace would concur with my weight loss, in her opinion in muscle mass. I've since put on weight back up to about 10st 4lb but have only been doing minimal cycling (which is what i was training for as i was on the university team)

I've been booked in in a couple of weeks for a routine blood test to make sure my kidneys are fine.

i'm now, consequently a bit concerned :S i've not done any high physical activity regularly for at least 3months, i'm eating 3 decent varied meals a day, although i am generally active, trying to find a job currently
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Fri Oct 23, 2009 2:34 am

Presence of traces of protein in the urine does not result in weight loss and does not indicate that you are losing muscle mass.
The 24 hour urinary Nitrogen excretion would correlate with muscle mass.
I do not see any compelling reason for you to stop your regular exercises or leading a normal, healthy and contented life!!
Cheers!