Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Can not urinate after foley removed

hippoman - Thu Oct 15, 2009 3:13 pm

Had Revolix surgery 9-23 and each 10 days Dr removes foley for 4 hrs and I can not eliminate enough fluid ( 300 ml in 4 hours so he places it back in. How can my bladder retrain itself in such a short period of time ? This could go on forever. I am aware of overfill of bladder and backing up into kidneys but isnt there something else missing ? Urecholine interacted with my BP meds creating dangerously low levels.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 12:02 am

It would have been more helpful if you had mentioned what was the indication for the RevoLix surgery.
This problem of incomplete evacuation of the urinary bladder could have been drug induced or related to the procedure done.
In the absence of information regarding the
indication for the procedure, one's answer can't be more specific.Please let us know more on this.Thank you.
 hippoman - Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:41 am

Sorry, I thought Revolix would explain reduction and partial vaporization of prostate due to 7 times normail sized prostate. BPH. Have had catheter in for 2-3 weeks prior to surgery due to relaxed bladder, 1200 ml when catherized, now post surgery 2 weeks, not uncommon after removal, for 4 hrs, 666 ml, then they put it back in.Now I am to commence Urecholine or Bechatenol tomorrow. Seems 2 wks for catheter then I only get 4 hrs to see if i can urinate successfully. Seems something is missing.
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sun Oct 18, 2009 7:43 pm

User avatar Hi hippoman,
Thank you.Revolix laser procedure is used not only in prostatic surgery, but for other conditions as well (ex.tumors of urinary bladder).Therefore, naturally i wanted to be very sure about what we are dealing with.
'Trial removal' of the Foley's catheter (or 'voiding trial') following TURP (Trans urethral resection of prostate) is a well known procedure - by which, the surgeon decides about catheter removal.
When, and for how long?.... the protocols vary from hospital to hospital and perhaps from surgeon to surgeon or even on a case to case basis.Your surgeon is probably going by the protocol he/she is experienced with.
If you feel that 4 hours is too short, you can certainly discuss with your surgeon and i believe, he/she will be open to discussion. Thank you for your post.