Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: Wart on penis, pretty sure not serious

dawg1864 - Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:34 pm

I have a single wart on the side of my penis, and I'm pretty sure it's not an STD. Can I use a common wart remover to get rid of this?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 9:18 am

User avatar Hello,There are mainly two types of warts that can occur in this location.One is plane wart,non STD and the other the sexual type condylomata acuminata.The later are mostly multiple and have perdilection for mucus areas like the inner areas of the penis and vagina.Both are caused by a virus but of different subtypes.The common wart generally disappear after the body develops resistance.Treatment is with external application of salycilic acid,cytotoxic agents like podophyllin,caustics and cryotherapy.As you would notice many of these react with normal skin too.They have to be applied with caution and best done by your doctor.Special mention about podophyllin is that it is not safe for pregnant women,this is just for the readers as a general information.Best wishes.
 Oakley123 - Thu Nov 12, 2009 1:53 am

I've also got a wart on my penis, ive got small white bumps on the the inside of my foreskin, and 2 little ones on the outside, Though, i havn't had sex. I've had warts on my hands in the past, but i got them frozen off, i went to my local doctor and he didnt seem 100% sure what type of wart they were, he said you cannot catch genetal warts from the toilet seat. so he assumed they were plane warts. Any advice?
 Dr.M.jagesh kamath - Sat Nov 21, 2009 8:52 pm

User avatar Hello,If they are whitish and round you have to think of molluscum contagiosum,a viral condition which can spread non sexually also.Here cryo would help too.Sexual types of warts are unlikely, but your description is like of molluscum.Do consult your doctor again.Best wishes.

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us