Medical Specialty >> Urology

Doctors Lounge - Urology Answers

Back to Urology Answers List

If you think you may have a medical emergency, call your doctor or 911 immediately. Doctors Lounge (www.doctorslounge.com) does not recommend or endorse any specific tests, physicians, products, procedures, opinions, or other information that may be mentioned on the Site.

DISCLAIMER: The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician. Please read our 'Terms and Conditions of Use' carefully before using this site.

Date of last update: 8/13/2017.

Forum Name: Urology Topics

Question: A solid mass at the bass of my bladder and vaginal wall

alicf87 - Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:12 pm

A few weeks after i delivered my fourth child i could not urinate. I went to the emergency room. They gave me an ultra sound. The doctor than told me that it seemed to be a mass at the base of my bladder. I then went to my OB/gyn. They told me it was a sold mass at the bass of my bladder and connecting on my vaginal wall. I then went and got a cystocopy(i mispelled). They said they didn't find what they expected and sent me to get an MRI. my primary doctor finally called after he looked at my results and said i need to go to a urologist STAT. Unfortunatley there is only one in my area that takes my insurance(public assistance). Anyway the doctors are not giving me an answer or even a clue. I need to know what could it be. I have no urinary retention not but i can feel the mass on my vaginal wall and it is very hard. PLease give me some idea as of what is going on?. I am 22 years old
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:13 pm

User avatar Hello,
I take it that your last delivery was a normal vaginal delivery. Was there any particular difficulty during labor?
The first question that comes to my mind is 'is this swelling new or perhaps was present prior to the delivery'(but was unnoticed)?.
If it appeared following the delivery, one possibility would be a hematoma (due to unrecognized trauma during delivery).The fact that you are able to feel it in the vagina (and the fact that the cystoscopy did not show anything in the urinary bladder) leads me to believe that it may be between the vaginal wall and the urethra.A CT or MRI should identify this quite easily.
But in case it had been present prior to delivery,its nature can't be confidently predicted and so, it will need to be fully investigated.
Good luck!

| Check a doctor's response to similar questions

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us