Forum Name: Urinary tract infections

Question: Chronic Urethritis for 2 years

PTbrigade - Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:34 pm

Maybe someone can help...?

My situation began two years ago. i was dating a girl that I thoguht was the "one"...after several months of dating we had unprotected sex after the old "STD" talk. I was always pretty careful and had been tested for STD's several motnhs earlier...all clear and no problems.

9 days after sex i began to have a tingling sensation rush through my Urethra. I went to get tested at the local health clinic. Within about 3 days i had bad Urethrits. My glans became red and irritated and developed a bump and a rash.

All STD tests came back negative. The urethrits continued as did the Glans irritation. At times my glans was "on fire" A small bump insiude the opening began to burn and come and go...almost every few days.

I went to a Urologist who initially thought Herpes. Although there was no blister he felt it was a atypical presentation. He sent me to a Infectious disease doctor who ran blood work for chlamydia, herpes, syphilis, gono, HIV and HEP...all were negative...Except Herpes which came back IGG positive only. So i had 2 Herpes Type II specific Test done (Pockit test and standarg IGG.IGM test) both negative. so he said it wasnt herpes.

The infectious disease doctor then did a bacteria l swab of the bump, negaitve except normal skin flora.

After several motnhs the symptoms persisted. the rash reccurred at the same exact place each time, about 3/4 " diganol fro mthe opening of meatuus somewhat lateral. Very irregular. The rash appears like raised skin cells...and can burn...and when it goes away is followed by red skin for a day and then has developed into a darkened pigmentation. It always comes and goes in the same exact shape and spot.

my dermatologist said it was nothing and reccomded mental health counseling ((ERRRRR))

the urethrits is constant...especially in the morning, ater sitting and defecation likely from the prostatitis.
The symptoms have never changed. Only now I can surely pinpoint my pain coming from my prostate and uethra. It seems to be very slowly getting worse.

I am getting very frustrated with doctors as the urologists i have been to have not even done a prosate fluid culture or 7 day urine test. Everyone refers me to the next.

I am surely not imagining this as it is creating symptoms externally and internally and is probably a 4 out of 10 pain daily...everyday.

During a prostate exam. my uro surely create a buring sensation upon pressing the prostate, a burning feelign that lasted the rest of the day.

My worries include prostate concer and urethral cancer, plus i am still not sure if i have a contageous STD?????
i am curious about ureaplasmas, HPV, mycoplasmas, "hidden" chlamydia in my prostate, fungal, or what??
Any suggestions from out there??
 raleman - Sat Sep 17, 2005 1:01 am

I have exactly the same symptoms. Have you been able to resolve it? Input/ideas are greatly apreciated.
Rick
 lpdotnet - Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:17 am

Hey guys,
The posts are really old but same kind of things are still happening out here. Did any of you got any updates regarding this? Prostate or urethral cancer, is it that bad? My urologist can't find anything. I started a 6 weeks antibiotic treatment for prostatitis but I stil have urethritis and urine flow is very weak. ANy answer will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:49 am

User avatar Hi PTbrigade,
Non-gonococcal urethritis (also called Non-specific urethritis) is not only due to Chlamydia, but also can be caused by other agents such as other bacteria (hemophilus spp, ureaplasma spp,etc), viral (adenoviruses, herpes simplex) and also due to some chemical agents(ex: spermicides).

Therefore, testing negative for some of them does not really exclude this diagnosis.

To site an hypothetical example, if a female partner used spermicidal creme of which the male partner was unaware, and if the male partner were to be unluckily allergic/sensitive to this creme, non-specific urethritis could result!That "one" may
be unlucky after all!

You said "followed by red skin for a day and then has developed into a darkened pigmentation. It always comes and goes in the same exact shape and spot".
This leads me to suspect that it could be a 'fixed drug eruption'-a type of reaction to certain drugs and tends to recur at the same spot every time the drug is consumed.I do not know if you were on medications during that phase of your illness.
I trust you may be benefited by this information.Best wishes!