Question: Painful, swollen, hard Dorsal artery after hernia surgery

jimbob - Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:08 pm

I had an inaugural hernia surgery on my left side on October 1st 2009. I now have a very hard and swollen vein on the top left side of my penis which I believe is the Dorsal artery. It is very painful, especially when I have an erection. At the base it is swollen, hard and straight, but at the tip of the penis it feels like it is all bunched and knotted up. Both areas are very sensitive and painful. Also at the base of my penis where the vein leaves is tender all the way to where the surgery was performed. The Dr said that he did not belive it was related to the surgery, as he had never heard of this side affect. He said that he could understand if it was in the balls, but not on the penis. I KNOW I did not have this prior though. Can someone please let me know if this is normal after the surgery, if it is not normal or if it could or could not be related. I am thinking that that blood vessel is pinched under the mesh...is that possible? I don't care I just want the pain to go away. Can someone please help me out?

Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:25 am

I believe that what you are referring to is not the dorsal 'artery' of the penis but the superficial dorsal 'vein' of the penis.
There are two dorsal veis, one superficial and one deep.The deep one is usually not visible or palpable because it lies deep to the deep fascia of the penis.The superficial vein on the other hand can be seen and at times felt as well.
there are a couple of possibilities to explain your problem...
- an acute thrombophlebitis (inflammmation) of the vein
- a very rare condition called as the Penile Mondor's disease (characterized by thrombosis in the dorsal vein of the penis).This is a benign and usually a self-limiting disease.
Many causes have been mooted - trauma, excessive sexual activity, prolonged sexual abstinence, infection, certain constrictive implements used during some sexual practices, and some pelvic tumors. Sexual trauma is thought to be the most likely etiological factor.
Your hernia surgery may not be related to your problem because, the mesh usually will not reach upto the area of the dorsal vein.
[You have not mentioned which type of inguinal hernia surgery he had undergone ('open' vs laparoscopic/unilateral vs bilateral)].
Thank you for your post.
 jimbob - Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:54 pm

It was an open inguinal hernia repair. It is the vein on the upper left side of the penis, that runs along the shaft to the head. My Dr said it was a blood clot and to take asprin. I just don't think thats what it is. Now Mondor's on the other hand maybe correct. I just read up on it but most of what I read said that it comes from vigorous sexual activity. Now let me asure you that with the pain from the operation, there was no sexual activiy taking place. But I did see that the hernia operation could cause it as well. But how can I be sure?
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Sat Oct 24, 2009 7:19 pm

Thank you for your reply.There is no certain way one can say that a hernia repair could lead to Mondor's disease of the penis (unless of course there are many case reports in the medical literature to this effect).I don't think there are!