Question: 3cm Kidney Stone, 6 month wait

bennya7x - Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:47 pm

My uncle has a kidney stone 3cm large and was diagnosed on Sept 17, 2009. It has been confirmed that he will need to have it surgically removed, but the earliest date available for surgery is sometime in February 2009.

I am unsure of the stones exact location but it is causing him constant pain the genital and lower back area. I believe a urinary stint of some sort has been placed to allow urine to pass.

Is it possible to last 6 months with a kidney stone that size without further infection or even death. I am very concerned and would like to know. What are the major consequences of waiting that long?

Thank you very much
 Dr.M.Aroon kamath - Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:51 am

I do not know your uncle's age.Generally,
Any kidney stone which has caused complete outflow obstruction is an emergency.
Any renal stone that has caused an obstructed & infected system (pyonephrosis) is a dire emergency.
Any renal stone causing severe derangement in the renal function also is an emergency.
A renal stone causing obstruction in a solitary kidney is an emergency.
A renal stone causing obstruction in a transplanted kidney is also an emergency.

It is not the size of the stone pre-se, which determines the nature of emergency.
In your uncle's case, if
- any out-flow obstruction has been successfully overcome by stenting and
- if there is no on-going urinary infection,
no significant harm should ensue due to the wait (if he undergoes regular check-ups,has his renal functions monitored periodically and urine checked for UTI's).Good luck!